Modify workflow to only let a ticket be assigned to someone in a specific Project Role

Kathleen Jacobs February 6, 2013

I have steps in my workflow where only artists should handle these tickets. To make sure nothing gets lost, i was a restriction to only be able to change assignee to someone within the custom project role Art I have.

Is this possible?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2013
  1. If you aim is to restrict the assignees when an issue reaches some particular state in a workflow, use workflow properties and set jira.permission.assignable.group = <<your group name>. (roles are not possible)
    1. http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2011/02/permissions-based-on-workflow-status.html
  2. If you aim is to restrict the assignee to a project role for all issue types in a project use the Permission scheme as Jason said.
2 votes
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2013

Thank you for the clarification. In this case, it sounds like a post function will work:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-Usingapostfunctiontosetafield

Also, we had a previous post that seems to pertain to your workflow question. I included that link as a reference if interested:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/59932/is-it-possible-to-automatically-assign-all-issues-which-move-from-in-progress-to-testing-to-a-user

I hope this information was helpful and relevant.

Cheers,
Jason | Atlassian

Kathleen Jacobs February 8, 2013

I don't see anything related to Project Roles on changing the assignee. Only Unassigned, Automatic, or a user.

0 votes
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2013

Hello!

Thank you for the response. From my experience, the criteria for setting the current assignee would be via the Permission scheme as well as if you leverage a notification scheme. You can copy the default permission scheme, make adjustments to the current assignee (add user or group), then associate it with the project.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jason | Atlassian

0 votes
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2013

Greetings!

If I understand correctly, you wish to restrict those who can change the assignee for an issue.

For the project in question, review the permission scheme and specifically look for:

Assignable User

Users with this permission may be assigned to issues.

Only users or groups with this permission, will be allowed to assign issues.

Please note: the permission scheme will need to be assocaited with a project.

I hope this response allows you to proceed.

Cheers,
Jason | Atlassian

Kathleen Jacobs February 7, 2013

Not who can add an assignee.

Lets say I want to send a ticket to Art.

In the workflow, i want to add a restriction saying that the assignee i add, on this ticket i am sending to art, is in the custom project role Art.

Suggest an answer