Modify an actual issue field

Alberto Gorostiaga June 7, 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to modify programmatically an issue field using the code i found here "https://developer.atlassian.com/download/attachments/5670239/JIRADEV-310811-0110-8.pdf" in the 145 page. I'm using JIRA 4.1.2, and that's my listener:

public void workflowEvent(IssueEvent event){

IssueInputParameters iip = new IssueInputParametersImpl();
iip.setSummary("I am a new summary");
IssueService is = ComponentManager.getInstance().getIssueService();
UpdateValidationResult updateValidationResult = is.validateUpdate(event.getRemoteUser(), event.getIssue().getId(), iip);
if (updateValidationResult.isValid())
{
IssueResult updateResult = is.update(event.getRemoteUser(), updateValidationResult);
if (!updateResult.isValid()){}
}

}

There's no warnings or errors on the JIRA console, but my summary doesn't change to "I am a new summary". So, how can i change the fields of my actual issue programmatically?

I've been looking the forum and i tryed this (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/40245/how-do-i-save-a-custom-field-description-in-the-jira-data-base) too:

ComponentManager.getInstance().getIssueFactory().getIssue().setSummary("I am a new summary");
ComponentManager.getInstance().getIssueFactory().getIssue().store();

and this too:

final IssueService.IssueResult issueResult = issueService.getIssue(null, event.getIssue().getKey());
final MutableIssue mutableIssue = issueResult.getIssue();
mutableIssue.setSummary("I am a new summary");
mutableIssue.store();

Any idea. Thanks.

Alberto.

4 answers

0 votes
Alberto Gorostiaga June 10, 2012

Hi,

Sounds good Mizan, i'll take a look soon.

Nic, i'm agree with "The whole point of the API and the structure of the code in Jira is that it isolates you from the database"...But sometimes is really frustrating :(

I still been unable to do what i want programmatically without 3rd persons plugins :(

Anyway. i refuse to keep on trying this, i'll try something new using links. I'll make a new post beacouse i'll change the topic. Let's see if i can solve a link problem:

IssueLinkManager issueLinkManager = ComponentManager.getInstance().getIssueLinkManager();
try {
issueLinkManager.createIssueLink(event.getIssue().getId(), createResult.getIssue().getId(), 10040L, new Long(0), event.getRemoteUser());
}catch (CreateException e) {e.printStackTrace();}

"10040L" and "new Long(0)" are the required issueLinkTypeId and sequence fields. May you know how to get them? I'd tryed this just for test but is giving me a lot of problems.

Thanks both!

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2012

You can have a look at the Jira CLI plugin which provides a command to update existing issue ,examples

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2012

It's easy to change it in the database. The process is:

1. Stop Jira
  2. Backup your database
  3. Prove the backup works by restoring it on another server and checking your test Jira can use it
  4. Run the SQL in live
  5. Restart Jira
  6. Reindex it

The whole point of the API and the structure of the code in Jira is that it isolates you from the database (and other system components) and you shouldn't need to think about it. Your listener is going in the right direction (because it's not touching the database), but the code doesn't look quite right to me, because you've only posted fragments of it. For example, your first block of code doesn't mention the issue at all, there's no mention of reindexing (which may be required), etc

0 votes
Alberto Gorostiaga June 10, 2012

Hi again,

As i can't change my issue fields...there's any way to access to JIRA database and change it there? If the answer is "yes" my next question must be..."how?". I've seen the JIRA API and i didn't find any connection to database class.

Regards.

Alberto

Suggest an answer