Missing ... menu in issues

Ryan Williams July 18, 2017

As you can see from the screenshot below, I'm missing the "..." menu in issues. note that the screenshot taken is as the root user and I've tried other users too. Note this is self-hosted but pretty vanilla as I'm still exploring Jira and working out how it works.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot at 2017-07-18 13-40-47.png

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

You are on an older version, which has the "actions" menu next to your workflows.  It was moved to ... on the right only a couple of versions ago.

Nope, it's the latest version, I only downloaded it from the site today. It should therefore have the ... on the right if that's the case, and the Udemy tutorial I'm following has it there for instance, hence my confusion.

Following your advice though I found the menu under "more" just to the right of "Assign" with all the contents of the "..." menu, so thank you for pointing me in that direction anyway.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

Ack, sorry, yes, I looked to the left when I saw you are on an old version and didn't go as far as "more".

It's definitely not the most recent version.  That has the dots on the right.

If it's not the most recent version then perhaps someone needs to update the downloadable version offered on the site. I'm using v7.4.1 (64-bit version).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2017

Sorry, I was totally unclear.  The docs are correct, but the latest version is "Cloud" and that's different.  Udemy has been documented on that, not Server.  7.4.1 still has the "more" menu.

You're going to find more and more discrepancies, as Cloud and Server diverge.

Ah now it all makes sense. Does this mean that Atlassian are moving away from having both versions essentially identical? It'd be rather disappointing if so as that would be a bit of a deterrent from deploying to the larger group this is a trial run for.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2017

It's a really bad move in my opinion, but yes, they are diverging them.

Cloud users will be getting a new layout soon, which is totally different (around the overall framework, not so much on the contents like issue view, pages, reports etc, but where the main menus are etc).  My third-hand understanding is that it's going to be years before Server gets that.

There's also divergance on the functionality - Cloud is pitched at the smaller users who don't have huge configuration needs, but can't install add-ons to help them with their needs.  Server is for larger places that have the time and money to do things with add-ons. 

It's of no help, but I did whinge at Atlassians about it quite a lot at the last Summit, and I'm going to carry on doing so.

By the sounds of it hosted is still the better option for me then, as we have enough in-house expertise to handle installation and I reckon there's a decent chance we'll want add-ons (at the very least I'm not keen to rule it out).

In the meantime I will be thoroughly grateful for any whinging you can do :)

Suggest an answer