Missing issues on board when swimlanes set to Epics

Sebastian Honsa October 9, 2019

I created a new Kanban board in a standard software project (not a next-gen one), and all issues are visible in board unless I switch swimlanes settings to Epics. Then all issues under any Epic are suddenly not visible on board. Changing swimlanes back to some other type works just fine, all issues are visible again. 

Am I missing something or there is a bug that needs to be fixed by Atlassian?

Thank you.

3 answers

0 votes
Emily Lukasik November 3, 2020

Hello - I am having the same issues as @Sebastian Honsa .  My filter is

project = RA AND issuetype in (Bug, Story, Task) AND sprint in openSprints()

All the Epics are part of the RA Project.  I have included issuetype in this filter so I do not pull Sub-Tasks into this view.

When I base Swimlanes on Stories, I see all the tickets in the Active Sprint.  When I base Swimlanes on Epics, the only 2 tickets that show up are  the 2 that are missing an Epic Link.

Any ideas?

0 votes
Robbie E Lee July 20, 2020

I'm having the same issue. I found that the Epic's assignee is somehow related. If the Epic is unassigned or assigned to someone not in my group (not sure how "group" is defined here), the Activity does not appear on my Sprint board.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2019

I would inspect your board's general filter and the sub-filter. Can you share those here? Also, can you share a before and after screenshots of your board?

Sebastian Honsa October 10, 2019

Hello Jack,

of course, my board filter is the same as other boards: 

project = ERP AND issuetype in (Epic, Bug, Task, Story, Sub-task) AND sprint in openSprints() ORDER BY Rank ASC

Subfilter is empty. Epics are created within ERP project.

Under this setting, all issues are visible on board when Epics are not set up as swimlanes. When they are set up as swimlanes, issues from Epics are not visible.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thank you!

luka montin February 24, 2020

could it be that the parent epics arent in the sprint ? 

if so maybe show all epics ( or set some filter for relevant epics) in the board filter

Suggest an answer