Minimal configure to enable user to report via jira-capture

Xavier Marichal July 16, 2014

Willing to test Capture before using it for dedicated tests with some clients, I have created a special group to which this user belongs in order to grant him restricted rights on the only one project that relates to him.

I've thefore created an adhoc permission scheme, with the right to create issue and that's about it. And the group belongs to jira-users, and NOT to Users. The one project for the customer uses that scheme.

All this works fine, but still the user cannot report anything using Capture. Indeed, when willing to create an issue, the Issue Details, namely "Project" and "Issue Type" keep loading for ever, and he's not able to pick any choice there... and therefore to submit the issue.

I've tried by adding to him the permission to "assign issues", and he can then in the Jira/Capture interface create a test session, but similarily the field "related project" remains empty (apart from "None")...

What shall I do to solve that?

Thanks,

Xavier

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Xavier Marichal July 17, 2014

Found: "Browse Projects" and "Create issues" are sufficient permissions.

(but after manipulating a lot all of this I had by mistake deleted my user from the group that receives these dedicated permissions).

0 votes
Deb Cinkus November 19, 2015

It's too bad there is not a way to authorize a client user only to be able to open or update issues via JIRA Capture, but not browse the project as a whole in JIRA. We would love to give our clients the ability to report bugs and changes using Capture, but don't want them inside the whole project, looking at what they shouldn't, etc. We just want a better bug reporter using Capture than the plain issue collector can offer.

By the way, we tried to use TrackDuck as a substitute for this need, and that was a mess. The screenshots looked terrible, they came over inline inside of the description field instead of as attached screenshots, and any file attachments (like PDFs) only made it into TrackDuck's application, and weren't sent over to JIRA. It was pretty useless.

So I'd really love to see a permission added that allows JIRA Capture use without the ability to browse the project inside the JIRA site.

0 votes
David Eggleton December 15, 2014

Atlassian might have updated their permissions, as I found that you need these three as a minimum requirement:

• Browse Projects
  • Assignable User
  • Create Issues
0 votes
Xavier Marichal July 17, 2014

What is even weirder is that:

- if I make my group part of "users", then everything works immediately (byt the guys have access to everything)

- if I individually add all permissions normally given to users one by one to my specific permission scheme, it does not work.

Suggest an answer