Migration to new Server

Scott Spivey November 22, 2017

I am moving my hosted Jira to a new server and can't figure out one step in the process. In this article, https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/migrating-jira-applications-to-another-server-861253107.html, the instructions in step 3.2 instruct me to point my new Jira installation to a copy of my previous Jira Home Directory. I have done this with no problem.

The following steps are ones I have also performed, connecting to new MySQL DB and importing all the data, restoring attachments, etc. All of these steps have been completed successfully.

What I don't understand is when do I point my new Jira installation back to the current Jira Home Directory and will that include all of the data I have imported in both the DB and attachment restore. Can someone offer some instructions on this that maybe I am missing?

Quick update: I have switched my new Jira installation back to the new Jira Home Directory and the setup wizard has started again. So I am clearly missing a step somewhere.

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2017

Hello,

I guess you migrated to a new server. In this case you copied home directory from the old server to the new one and you pointed your new Jira installation to the copied home directory. Then you restored all your data. Your new installation is on the new Server how would you point Jira Home Directory to another server? You have already pointed your new Jira installation to the copy of the home directory which means you have all data. You do not need to point back to the old directory. You can work now. What bothers you?

Scott Spivey November 22, 2017

It doesn't seem right with the data being stored the way I have it now. Since I assumed I would be moving the data back to new Jira Installation home directory I just unzipped the backup copy to the root of my data drive.

If this works to be set up this way I can get over the optics of where I currently have the home directory. But what about all of the other connections that Jira has to make? I have a backup in this same directory (where my Home Directory is now located) backups for attachments, indexes and the entire Jira directory from the previous installation. I don't know if Jira is using these directories or is it using the directories created during setup in the Program Files directory.

So I guess what bothers me is I now don't feel comfortable that I know which directories are being used for what purpose.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2017

When you copied all data from the home directory to the new location and pointed your new Jira there, Jira began to use this directory. Attachments, indexes, avatars and so on are stored there and your new Jira uses them right now. You migrated all your data which Jira stored on the old server. Now you have to use this new home directory. If your Jira works fine, then you can remove your old server. 

Suggest an answer