Migration of data from "Story Point 2" to "Story Point" in Boards

Manohar Halappa July 28, 2017

We have custom fields called "Story Points 2" and "Story Points" used for estimating the efforts. Many projects Boards in our organization are pointing to either of these fields. Now to standardize the estimation field we have advised our teams to move to "Story Points" field instead of "Story Points 2". Is there a easy way to migrate the data present in "Story Points 2" Field to "Story Points" field so that all the reports and historical data are moved to new estimation field? Right now, after we have moved to new field the reports are not showing old data for obvious reasons. Please advise.

Atlassian support had suggested to do the below steps:

Basically, you must follow the steps below:

1. First, you must create a loop transition (A transition that goes to the same status where it came from) for each one your statuses and on each project's workflow that you must change the field
  2. You must add a post function to each loop transition called Copy value from other field that will copy the value from the field Story Points 2 to Story Points
  3. Then, perform a bulk operation transitioning the issues through the loop transition you created on step 1: P.S: You must perform a single bulk operation for each status and for each project, configuring the filter query to display the proper issues.
  4. Delete the loop transitions

The above was not a feasible solution as number of project invloved was high. Please advise if we have any alternative way to fix this issue.

I also tried 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2017

The easiest way I can think of is:

1. Go to the Issue Navigator  and type a JQL query like: "Story Points 2" > 0
  2. Ensure the only columns being shown are Issue Key and Story Points 2, and then export the results to 'CSV (current fields)'.
  3. Go to the CSV importer and select the csv file you've just downloaded for the issue import.
  4. When the import wizard display the screen for mapping fields, map Issue Key to Issue Key and Story Points 2 to Story Points. 
Manohar Halappa July 30, 2017

Hi @Ignacio Pulgar Many Thanks for this tip. I tired this and I was able to move the valus of the field from SP 2 to SP. But when I look at the Sprint reports they still do not look right for some reason. (FYI..After this step I changed the board to point to SP as Estimation Statistic).After this move I was assuming that all the historical data in the sprint reports and gagets etc would show the data correctly. Are we missing a trick here? Please advise.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2017

Hi Manohar,

Sprint Reports will not be recalculated, as they should keep the values they had when they were created. No workaround for this.

However, future Sprint Reports will be created according to your new setting, being estimated on Story Points.

Glad to hear the trick worked.

Would you mind accepting my answer?

Regards

Manohar Halappa July 31, 2017

Hi @Ignacio Pulgar,

Thanks for this. So, should we create new board with Story Point as estimation statistic and retain the old boards still pointing Story Points 2 field so that the historical data is viewed?

BTW I have accepted your answer.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2017

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure on this one. I'd suggest performing some tests in a dummy project and board to see the results.

Btw, thanks for accepting my answer.

Regards

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2017

The only other off-the-shelf option is repeated bulk-edits to add the data to the new field before removing the old field.

But I suspect you really want to use something like script runner to write a one-off script that will go through all the issues with a value in the unwanted field in one go, updating the other.

Suggest an answer