Migration from OnDemand to Download version of JIRA invalidates imported users' passwords

Dmitry.Semionin September 4, 2012

I have a Jira OnDemand installation which i've been using and configuring lately. Then i decided to move to the Download version of Jira. Installed the 5.1.3-Windows-x64 version and imported the backup of my OnDemand instance.

After that, i can't log into the newly installed Jira with any of the accounts i used to have on my OnDemand instance. The installation seems to know the accounts' usernames and emails because when i try to recover the passwords/usernames, i'm being notified that an email with the recovery links was sent to me.

The issue is, i can't receive those emails. I've dug into that issue as well, but it seems irrelevant to the fact that the accounts' previous passwords don't work anymore.

Googling around didn't give me even a slightest hint on what's going on, so i assume it's either some super nasty bug nobody else has encountered before, or i'm doing something so wrong that nobody else would ever have thought of doing.

Anyway, any help on why my old passwords stopped working is very much appreciated.
Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2012

Or you can create a local user as explained here, login with that and get the mail working.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator

Please also verify the user directories configuration once you login to see whether the JIRA internal directory is what is active after the restore.

Dmitry.Semionin September 4, 2012

The instruction on the way to directly alter the passwords by manipulating the database was the most helping. That was i also found out that the credential values for the users i could not log in with were changed from the password hashes to the "nopass" plantext strings. Have no idea why...

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2012

I am not sure why your username/password wouldn't work but the email issue seems a possibility. Atlassian uses their on mail server on onDemand and hence you will have to modify it after you migrate to downloaded version.

Since you can't login, you will have to modify the mail server details directly in the database I guess.

The password issue seems strange though and I suggest you take it up with Atlassian!

Suggest an answer