Migration from JIRA Server to JIRA Cloud (and Confluence)

Deleted user February 2, 2015

I am trying to put together a business case to migrate from JIRA server to JIRA cloud.  The obvious benefit being on the latest and greatest version of JIRA at all times.  Is there any additional information out there on pro/con?  Any risks we should consider?  Are there any pains of being on the Cloud version? 

I would also like to consider doing the same with Confluence - are there size restrictions that we need to be aware of? Pro/Con?

Thanks!!

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2019

Hi all,

We're excited to share updates to Atlassian Cloud since this question was originally posted.

Scalability

With cloud, you get instant access to new feature releases and automatic upgrades, alleviating the need for manual work to your internal systems. Additionally, cloud now supports increased user and storage limits which can support most enterprise teams. At the time of this writing, cloud sites can support up to 5,000 users and 250 GB of storage.

Apps and extensibility

The Atlassian Marketplace offers nearly 1,000 apps and integrations that extend the functionality of Atlassian Cloud products. These include free integrations with leading SaaS productivity and collaboration tools like Slack and Dropbox, and subscription-based licensing of some of the most beloved server apps. In some cases, you may discover that the cloud version of a product includes functionality that is fulfilled through an app on server.  

Hosting and security

Atlassian's cloud hosting infrastructure is designed to meet the product performance and reliability standards that our global customers need. At the time of this writing, Atlassian hosts data for Jira Cloud in six different AWS regions: US (East and West), Europe (Ireland and Germany) and Asia Pacific (Sydney and Singapore). Atlassian will optimize where customer data is located based on how it's accessed around the world. Learn more about our cloud hosting infrastructure, including any new updates to hosting sites.

More resources

For more info to help you decide if moving from server to cloud is a good option for you, check out our Atlassian Cloud Migration Center

Hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to reach out with questions. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user February 4, 2015

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!!!  Based on plugin limitations (only 35% of our current plugins are supported on the cloud) it's highly unlikely that we'll move to the cloud.

3 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2015

Hi Wendy,

You aptly describe one of the benefits of Cloud, being able to take advantage of new features right away. Sometimes Atlassian even tries new features on Cloud first (which is pretty cool) using the feedback from customers to determine what changes to perhaps make before launching it into an upcoming release of Server.

Speaking of Confluence only (that's the application I'm most familiar with), the pro of staying on the Server version for us (larger company, 8000 users) is that we can take advantage of some key plugins that are only offered for Server, and can manage/decide when to launch new features for employees.  For the latter, we sometimes prepare special communications to give them an understanding of the features before it's available, and can launch the communications at a suitable time in advance. I don't believe there are size restrictions.

Hope that helps, good luck in your decision process.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2015

The main "con" for moving from server to Cloud is the loss of flexibility on addons and limitation on some functions. For example, you can't use external user directories on Cloud (only the internal accounts or Google apps). The list of addons you can use is strictly limited to the ones Atlassian are willing to support. Before you think about moving either application, have a look at the plugins you've installed and check if they are valid for Cloud. If not, then you'll have to think about replacing them or dropping them. Your question about size is relevant - it's not users, issues or pages, though, it's disk. Your maximum data allowance is 25Gb - to include the databases and attachments. I believe Atlassian are looking at increasing this and/or charging more if you go over it, but I've not heard much about it recently.

TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2015

Nic, thanks for educating us about the 25GB limit on Cloud.

Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2019

Hi all, 

Maren here from Atlassian.

We know that storage is critical to teams' productivity and success on the cloud. That’s why we’ve increased the storage limit for both Jira Cloud products and Confluence Cloud from 25 to 250 GB, regardless of user tier.

It’s also important to know that storage limits in cloud are not currently enforced. We are currently revising our storage policy in cloud and will roll out more options for purchasing additional storage, along with enforcing the limits sometime in 2019. We will notify customers in advance before we roll out these changes.

You can check out the full announcement here.

Cheers,

Maren

2 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2015

Wendy,

Tom beat me to the punch to say essentially exactly the same thing so you have two votes in favor of staying server rather than cloud for pretty much the same reasons.

Many are the days where I think that cloud is the way to go for the reasons you cite but mostly on days where I just wish somebody else was looking after this dang thing. Thankfully, those days are few and far between and the cool factor of always automatically having the latest Confluence under my data would be the biggest pro.

That said, and to echo Tom's comments, I have a lot of plugins on my server based instance that aren't able to be loaded in the cloud based version and were just the ticket to solve some problem we needed to get past as we move more and more to centralized content that can be used in our increasingly automated environment.

If Atlassian ever got it so that, for plugins of my choice available regardless of whether or not I was cloud or server based, I'd go cloud in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even think once.

Ok... I'd likely have to think at least once (over and over again) as I would meet with security, IP protection boffins, etc. etc. etc. etc. to validate and convince them that our content is safe in the cloud but if the cloud variant acted and operated in the same manner as the server variant but I wouldn't have to do the daily care and feeding I'd take the short term pain of roughly 1,346 discrete meetings to get there.

Good luck. Hope my $0.02 helps.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2015

I'd forgotten that point about data rights - the Cloud servers are located in the US, are subject to the Patriot Act and hence you need to think about the impact of that on your data. Most of the time, it's fine, but if you store any personal information on individuals, you're pretty much guaranteed to break European data laws. So you'll need to assess your exposure on that!

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2015

Not to mention export controls where one works with stuff that is export controlled. Gets even weirder when that is in the mix.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2015

Oh heck, yes. I've not really run into it directly with Atlassian stuff, but from my career before I found Jira 2, yes, that gets very odd. Stuff you can happily export to one country with a simple label can't go to the country next door without 200 process checks. It's not even stuff you'd associate with risks - military or hazardous stuff, it's more like paper clips and loom bands.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2015

Good read! Thanks Nic, Mike and Tom for sharing this! Says much more than technical comparison cloud vs server

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events