Migration from Enterprise Edition, v3.12.2 to v7.3.0

JV291073 January 23, 2018

Dear All,

I am writing you because I have some questions:

First of all, Do you have any document or procedure in order to migrate from Jira V3.12.2 to V7.3.0 without losing any kind of information I mean, files attached to the Ticket or all the tracking information that is joint to the ticket?, Is it possible? What do we have to do?

Thank you!

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours faithfully,

Julio Vaca

2 answers

0 votes
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

Sounds like you will resurrect a dinosaur, or? Just kidding.

First of all backup the data before and after each upgrade step. Next you have to read the release notes for all of the upgrades, at least for the majors (4,5,6,7). Beginning from version 5 (as far as I remember) things will get easier, since Jira is able to update its DB itself without the export/import dump procedure. As soon as you have reached 6.4.14 you can jump to 7.0.<latest> and then to any other >=7.1.0.

Hints: Perform the integrity checka after each step. Select some reference issues that you also compare after each step.

And last but not least, I wish you good luck and endurance.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2018

Me too! You may want to uninstall all add-ons while doing the upgrades too

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2018

You have to upgrade to each version in turn. 4.0, 4.4, 5.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7.0, 7.3 off the top of my head. It is ten years worth of changes, which means it is a pretty different app.

You might be better off persuading people to leave the old 3.12 instance alone, making the projects read-only. And install a new 7.3 instance.

Suggest an answer