Migration JIRA OnDemand/Cloud to Server

Vincent Thoulé _Alkaes_ September 11, 2015

Hi all,

Is there some documentation on the procedure for moving JIRA Clloud to JIRA Server ?

I am interested by :

• any Technical Documentation with
    • the exact version matching between JIRA Cloud / JIRA Server.
      • By example, today, JIRA Cloud is in 7.0.0-OD-04-018#70102
      • JIRA Server 7.0 is not yet released, and is only provided in EAP 7.0.0-m03
    • with the clean to perform in XML Backup (if needed)
  • the needed requests to send to Atlassian in order to have a JIRA Cloud no more upgraded ... 
    • When the target version is identified, we have to be sure that during the preparation of the migration, the JIRA Cloud is no more updated.
  • any other useful point needed to have a succes in this operation

Thanks by advance

Vincent

2 answers

0 votes
Aaron Scott-Boddendijk September 24, 2015

I am trying to achieve the same thing and it is most definitely not working for me in a test import.

What I've tried.

1. Export a backup from Cloud (which uses a large number of plugins, most notably though - JIRA Agile)
  2. Install a vanilla install of JIRA/JIRA Agile (just an eval licensed HSQLDB install)
  3. Import the backup (requiring me to ignore the version difference)

The results are quite unpleasant. SQL errors on start, errors about JIRA Agile failing to start, missing menu features.

• Does the destination need to be the same database type/version (Postgres 7.2 if I read the export content
    correctly)?
  • Do I need to pre-install all of the plugins needed (though the documentation suggests otherwise)?

Some online advice mentioned that the process should be...

1. Export (1) from Cloud
  2. Import (1) into a temp instance matching target version
  3. Export (2) from temp
  4. Import select projects from (2) into the target instance

This supposedly helps avoid some brokenness of the Cloud->Server install reaching the target system (this doesn't appear to be consistent with advice from Atlassian and could well be heresay).

Of course with a broken system I can't generate the export from the temp instance so I can't verify if that experience is better or worse.

Can someone at Atlassian please confirm that the v7 Cloud version with JIRA Agile can be migrated to JIRA Server?

0 votes
Thiago Zandona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2015

Hi Vincent,

I believe that this page answers all your question regarding the migration:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/migrating-from-jira-cloud-to-jira-server-299569790.html

Please let me know if any remaining question.

Cheers

Aylin Kohls
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2016

Hi Thiago.

I followed the steps defined by Atlassian in the link you mentioned, but the problem I have is the same Aaron mentioned: if I import Cloud data into Server instance and then Install pluggins, some validations, conditions and post-functions available only after installing pluggins, are corrupted in migrated workflows.

Do I need to pre-install all of the plugins needed (though the documentation suggests otherwise)

Thanks!!!

Suggest an answer