Migrating to JIRA from Redmine

Andrew Ardill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2011

Does anyone know of any effective migration methods from Redmine to JIRA?

I have found a project that has developed a ruby program that dumps info to a jelly script at https://github.com/jhelwig/migrate-redmine-to-jira

Has anyone tried using this, and if so have you run into any issues with it?

23 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2011

Some people use CSV import (but that somewhat lossy conversion - e.g. currently it does not support importing dates and authors of the attachments nor issue transition/change history).

On the other hand, wrting fully-fledged Redmine importer on top of JIRA Importers Plugin (which in fact an import framework) should not be a big deal. E.g. it tooks us less than a few person weeks to write and productize Trac importer.

Feel free to ping me directly if you are interested in such direction and you would need some more detailed help with JIRA Importers Plugin.

Cheers,
Wojtek

UPDATE: Redmine Importer plugin is finally available: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-redmine-plugin

2 votes
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

Just an update, there is now a JIRA Redmine Importer and a Redmine Workflow Bundle for JIRA available on Atlassian Marketplace. Full details here:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?q=redmine

Thank you,
Nicholas Muldoon
@JIRA Team

1 vote
ShavkatK November 1, 2012

I have passed that one, but got stuck in another issue:

Cannot login to Redmine site: Authorization error. Please check if you provided a valid API access key or Login and Password and REST API service is enabled on the server.

1 vote
Daniel Enman November 7, 2011

I've got a script that I've written over the last few days to port from Redmine to JIRA using the REST API and minimal DB updates (to fix dates, and relations, etc.).

It needs some cleanup and a little more testing before I'd say go-fo-it, but we've just used today to port our data. If you're any good at Python, it shouldn't be too bad to manipulate to your needs.

I'll work on getting it cleaned up a bit and post the link when I've got it ready.

julian bankston August 28, 2012

Hello Daniel. Is this script available?

Thanks

J

0 votes
Merkutio Team November 20, 2013

Hello i'm getting a similar issue

Api login is enabled

i dont have any proxy

firewall is ok as i can't hit the api from an external network

and when i try to import in jira ( on demand ) it fails with the following error message :

Cannot login to Redmine site: Forbidden. Please check the user has proper permissions.

Someone can help ?

Thanks in advance

0 votes
julian bankston January 3, 2013

this script links the attachments to your Jira database from Redmine.

here are the files.

https://gist.github.com/4456069

Abdelwahed Samri October 1, 2020

Hello Julian, 

Can you please re-share the script please ? The above url is dead 

Cheers, 

0 votes
julian bankston January 3, 2013

I have a set of scipts which migrate attachments from Redmine to Jira. If you want them please reply and I will post them over the weekend.

0 votes
Gary Pinkham January 3, 2013

those scripts would be useful!!

thanks!

0 votes
ajakubowski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 26, 2012

Gary, the Redmine importer will create users for you automatically like CSV importer.

Unfortunately there is a bug in Redmine Importer that you faced. The NotAuthorizedException is thrown when you try to import project that has module 'Time Tracking' disabled in Redmine. As as temporary solution You may enable time tracking for your project just for the import.

Gary Pinkham December 26, 2012

thanks.. that fixed it!!! Maybe you can update the docs to make it a requirement til lthe bug is fixed (if it's not already mentioned)

0 votes
Gary Pinkham December 23, 2012

would love to provide a testimonial if it worked.. :-)

ok so csv is not useful since Redmine doesn't supply all the fields on extract (like comments)

Jira Redmine import doesn't work for me..

I tried the Jelly script in the original question. . that is the closest so fa.r. But fails as it thinks I'm annonymous.. can't get to the import screen without being logged in so not sure why it thinks I'm annoymous.. I thought the Jelly Runner used the logged in user..

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 26, 2012

Gary, could you share with us what did not work for you?

Screenshots, log files, any problem description - all it will be very useful for us.

If this information includes confidential data, feel free to raise a support request for it (support.atlassian.com) and link to this page.

Thanks in advance,

Wojtek

0 votes
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2012

Hello folks,

If you are keen to provide a testimonial for your switch to JIRA please fill out this form:

https://atlassian.wufoo.com/forms/m6s9s3/

We will then add your testimonial to a the Redmine tab on the JIRA Importers page:

http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/importer-migrations

Love to add you to that page!

Cheers,
Nicholas Muldoon
@GreenHopperTeam

0 votes
ajakubowski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 4, 2012

Please update JIRA Redmine importer plugin to version 1.0.2

0 votes
ajakubowski
Atlassian Team
November 1, 2012

In order to make redmine importer work you should enable rest API in your Redmine Importer.

According to redmine docs :To enable the API-style authentication, you have to check Enable REST API in Administration -> Settings -> Authentication.

<h6> </h6>
0 votes

Believe me, before posting my question I did explore the problem myself - tried enabling/re-enabling REST, tried entering API key instead of login/pass, tried with different account, including the first admin one, checked the connectivity between Jira & Redmine - nothing helps! The issue seems to be with the script itself.

I am running Jira 5.0 (+ Importers plugin 5.0.2 + Redmine plugin), Redmine 2.0.3.stable.9889 with no plugins.

Sorry if I didn't mention it, my error is the following:

Cannot login to Redmine site: Authorization error. Please check if you provided a valid API access key or Login and Password and REST API service is enabled on the server.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

If you are still getting the unknown host exception since it unclear from your last messag what your issue is, then try doing a trace route to your redmine server. If the that fails which is what I would expect, I would try getting the ip address of the redmine server and try that out. If the trace route with the ip address works, then either update your hosts file or use the ip address directly. If that fails then probably you either a proxy server or a firewall issue and I would contact your network admin person to help you out.

An unknown host exception has nothting to do with the script. It deals with your network configuration.

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

As Adam Jakubowski suggests - you need to upgrade to the newer version. There was a stupid bug in the first released version which made it impossible to authenticate to Redmine if your password was different than the username (i.e. in almost all cases, but in our test environment :) ). Now it's fixed.

0 votes
Jesus Santos November 1, 2012

I have the same problem

I have passed that one, but got stuck in another issue:

Denny Schäfer November 27, 2012

Do you have set the <label>Enable REST web service</label> value (Administration → Settings tab Authentication) ?

0 votes
julian bankston November 1, 2012

That worked. now i get this error from the importer. We are also using nginx and reverse proxing back to redmine.

Cannot login to Redmine site: Cannot fetch data from https://xxxx.com/users.json : java.net.UnknownHostException: xxxx.com

Same problem here

In our issue our firewall block the traffic and the import could not conect to Redmine.

0 votes
julian bankston November 1, 2012

I just tried to install this and here is the error message.

INFO 1020x1403x1 z0fzke  /rest/plugins/1.0/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-redmine-plugin-key [atlassian.plugin.util.WaitUntil] Plugins that have yet to be enabled: [com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-redmine-plugin], 11 seconds remaining

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

make sure that you have the newest version of JIRA Importers Plugin installed - should be at least 5.0.2. Redmine importer plugin is a plugin to a plugin :) And only the newest JIRA Importers Plugin supports such pluggability.

After installing the newest JIRA Importers Plugin you may need to uninstall and install again Redmine importer.

0 votes
Al Sko June 8, 2012

if you need to transfer tasks only, then Task Adapter will work for you. it does not create project milestones/versions or users, but it can transfer tasks.

0 votes
LuziaL
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2012

Just saw a tweet suggesting that this would work: https://gist.github.com/1662779

0 votes
Marija Kuzmina December 19, 2011

Hi everyone. I need to realise integration between jira and redmine. I mean I would like to send some issue from jira to redmine and to get information about issue's status if it changes. Is it possible?

0 votes
Niels Bagger November 27, 2011

I would like to see your script, if you have it up and running ;-)

We just moved to Jira and have a few Redmine projects we would like to port to Jira.

Cheers,

-Niels

0 votes
Daniel Enman November 7, 2011

I've written a

Suggest an answer