Migrating older external project history to JIRA

Praveen S April 8, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Importing Data from CSV

After reading lot of forums, i am still not cleared about this migration issue.

I am planning to mirage my whole older projects issue history to JIRA. I am flexible of having my old records in CSV or JSON or SQL.

So my query is by using JIRA import from CSV, or import from JSON technique,can we import per CSV file which contain a numbers of project, each project is repeated or new one, and each projects with different issue histories?

Else I had bunch of csv files, some of the csv file pointing to same projects and some be unique different project with different issues.

So now how to automate to import these csv files to JIRA?

Is there any API's to import, or this import can be done only via. UI?

Is there and coding way to automate import of multiple csv files to JIRA?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2016

Right, well,

1. Forget CSV.  No issue history.
  2. Forget JSON.  No issue history, possibly even fewer fields than CSV
  3. Forget SQL.  Technically possible, but could take you years to get right

If you want to import older JIRA data, I don't really know why you've started by looking at options that strip away the JIRA structure before you try it.

I would:

1. Take your old JIRA
  2. Import it into a temporary test system on the same version
  3. Upgrade it to the version you are aiming to import into
  4. Export the whole lot to xml
  5. Use project import to pull in exact copies of all the issue data
Praveen S April 11, 2016

Thank you @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] for the guide,
I had my old data with in XML or Json files. It was not from JIRA.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

Ah, I see, I had misread your question - it sounded like this data was from another, older JIRA.

CSV will enable you to import issues and their fields, and you can import into multiple projects and so-on.  But the history won't come in, and you can only import fields that match JIRA fields.  You can do some stuff with the REST API too.

But, as you have JSON data, I suspect your best bet is going to be https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/importing-data-from-json-495976468.html

Suggest an answer