Migrating issues from other system via REST?

Ken Anderson August 3, 2014

Hi all,

We're trying to use the REST API to bulk move thousands of issues from our old issue tracking system (@task) to Jira. We thought the REST API would be a good approach, but it seems like it's really built for a real time interface, not bulk loading. How can I load thousands of resolved issues without having Jira require all the transitions to take place?

Thanks,

Ken

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2014

Hello Ken,

you could consider JSON Importer (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+JSON). We have a history of successful imports with JSON files bigger than few houndred megabytes.

JSON Importer is available from GUI level, as well as from JIRA REST level (check JIRA REST API Browser). If you have any questions regarding this Importer, I'll be more than happy to help you.

Cheers,

Przemek

Ken Anderson August 4, 2014

Thanks. When looking at the documentation on the importing link, it says this:

Please note that the import format used by the JIRA Importers plugin is more basic than the import format available when using the JIRA REST API

To me, this implies that you could use the REST API to do imports, as opposed to regular issue creation. However, when looking through the API doc, I cannot find a distinction. We've already built the tool to use the REST API, so the more we can use that, the better - project is already running late...

Thanks, Ken

Suggest an answer