Migrating is not working

Chad Steen January 6, 2014

I installed JIRA 3 months back, now I need my JIRA on another VM than it is currently running on. I follow the instructions on how to migrate. Once new JIRA is running, all my old plugins are there, but that is ALL that got transfered. Users, Projects and other data is not there.

Please help! I am stuck and up $#%% creek without a paddle!!!!! =)

11 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2014

You need to do a backup from the old instance and import into the new one. Since you're using the built in database it will create it for you.

0 votes
Chad Steen January 7, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion, but Re-Indexing did not help. I restarted and activity and issues are gone.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2014

Ok, always worth a try.

Could you look in the database and see if there are actually any issues in it?

As you're using HSQL (which can fail catastrophically, which is what I'm starting to worry about here), you can simply open the file in a text editor (when Jira is offline, and be careful to keep it read-only) and look through it for lines that use insert into the jiraissue table. HSQL keeps its data in a couple of files in your "jira home" directory which should be called something like "database.script"

0 votes
Chad Steen January 7, 2014

Thanks for the previous help guys, but now I face a problem where everything was/is working, but not correctly.

Once I restored system and started JIRA everything worked. But when I restart the VM, JIRA service starts but JIRA does not have project data. Users are there and the project itself is there, but the acttivity and issues are not. Stop JIRA service, restore system again and then start jira using the batch file is the only to get my data to show up.

Any help would be awesome! I am not above starting my JIRA installation over from scratch on the new VM if anyone feels by forgetting to restore system the first time around is the culprit for my new issues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2014

Hmm. Could you try a full re-index? If you've simply restored the data, then your empty Jira won't have had a chance to build the index...

0 votes

Great work guys! thanks so much for all your help. Very friendly! Nice experience for my first question on this forum! Awesome =)

0 votes

Okay, will look into replacing the DB. Thanks guys! I will report back!

0 votes

Ya that was all in the reply I made that Atlassian is witholding atm due to it being some sort of spam (flters seem to be a bit strong, imo)

I will go over it again, but if they add my comment later just ignore it.

I made back ups of everything.

Installed New JIRA

copied old Home Dir to new server

pointed new JIRA to use the copy of old Home Dir.

edit a few files per instructions

started new JIRA

New and old JIRA are both the same version

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2014
Ok. Hsql then. You have not told us what you did to "migrate". Was it a full export and import into an empty system? Or did you simply try to move the whole database? The instructions you read probably mentioned export and import, so what did you do there?
0 votes

I made a reply... but for some reason they thought it was spam. I am using the built in DB atm. Once I get everything working right again I will be migrating to MSSQL 2012

0 votes

Hey guys! Thank you so very much for the fast responses and genuine attempts at resolving my issue.

Unless I missed something, I was informed to make back ups of everything, but I did not get any instructions on importing anything but old JIRA home dir as the new one.

Here is what I did:

Made backups of everything

Copied old JIRA home to new server

Pointed new JIRA to use old home dir.

Copied a few parts of files from old JIRA into new JIRA (old JIRA and new JIRA are same version, btw) like instructed

started new JIRA.. and this is where I am at now.

0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014

Hi Chad

You just pointed the new JIRA install to a backup database dump or you generated an xml backup at the old instance and restored it at the new install?

You can run the config file at your new jira-install/bin and check the database settings to see if is pointing correctly to the new database.

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2014

Sounds like you missed the move of the actual database.

What database are you using?

Suggest an answer