Migrating from mysql to mssql

Jessica K August 24, 2014

We are planning to upgrade JIRA to a VM server and move from a mysql to a mssql database. Are there any documentation and instructions on how to migrate? Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2014

Hey Jessica.

To move JIRA from one database to another you can follow this guide. Also you may want to take a look here as it have some specific configurations needed on MSSQL 2012 to run JIRA.

Hope this helps!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2014

Standard procedure is to explort the database using the XML backup, then import it into an empty Jira pointed at the new database.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

(Part of me is curious to know why you're downgrading - there's only one time I'd recommend a move to MS-SQL, just wondering if you fall into that situation, because if you don't, you probably shouldn't be doing this move)

Jessica K August 25, 2014

We are currently using JIRA version 4.1.2 with mysql version 5.0.83-community-nt and planning to move JIRA database to mssql 2012. Is there a step by step procedure on how to proceed with this upgrade? We are not trying to do a downgrade. We are upgrading JIRA at same time.

What is the one time move that you recomment from MS-SQL?

Thanks

Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2014

Hey Jessica.

To move JIRA from one database to another you can follow this guide. Also you may want to take a look here as it have some specific configurations needed on MSSQL 2012 to run JIRA.

Hope this helps!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2014

A move to MS-SQL is always a downgrade, it's simply not as good as Post, My or Oracle. The only time I'd recommend it is when you really don't have any expertise with the other three available. You should always go with what you can support best.

Jessica K September 3, 2014

Is MSSQL 2012 supported for Jira? Also is there a direct upgrade path from Jira 4.2 to Jira 6.3?

We are planning to migrate from a old platform which is Jira 4.2 on MySQL 5.0.83 to Jira 6.3 on MSSQL 2012, is it possible or is there a different approach?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2014

Please see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Supported+Platforms

For the upgrade, 4.2 to 6.3 is a valid step, but as always, you will need to test it for yourself. If your Jira is smallish, has few plugins (or at least the ones you have are good with upgrades) and hasn't been customised, you'll probably be fine.

But test it. And read the release notes for 4.3, 4.4, 5.0, etc

Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2018

Yo @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Saw your comment on that mssql always was a downgrade. Do you mean in terms of performance (or are you just very anti-MS?)

We are considering moving all our Atlassian apps to MSSQL, should we reconsider that?

Kind regards

Jonas

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2018

It's from a while ago, and MS-SQL has improved, but it's still in fourth place for choice of database.  I had problems with stability, drivers, performance, and encoding settings, even when I had proper qualified MS system admins and DBAs.  The other databases have their problems, but if you took every problem I've had with all three of the others and added them up, the list would still be shorter than the ones I've seen with MS.

But "You should always go with what you can support best." is still the best answer.  If you're considering moving because the Atlassian stuff is the odd one out and everything else is on MS, then it makes sense, as you'll have lots more MS people around to help.

Suggest an answer