Migrating from mysql to mssql

We are planning to upgrade JIRA to a VM server and move from a mysql to a mssql database. Are there any documentation and instructions on how to migrate? Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

Hey Jessica.

To move JIRA from one database to another you can follow this guide. Also you may want to take a look here as it have some specific configurations needed on MSSQL 2012 to run JIRA.

Hope this helps!

1 vote

Standard procedure is to explort the database using the XML backup, then import it into an empty Jira pointed at the new database.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

(Part of me is curious to know why you're downgrading - there's only one time I'd recommend a move to MS-SQL, just wondering if you fall into that situation, because if you don't, you probably shouldn't be doing this move)

We are currently using JIRA version 4.1.2 with mysql version 5.0.83-community-nt and planning to move JIRA database to mssql 2012. Is there a step by step procedure on how to proceed with this upgrade? We are not trying to do a downgrade. We are upgrading JIRA at same time.

What is the one time move that you recomment from MS-SQL?

Thanks

Hey Jessica.

To move JIRA from one database to another you can follow this guide. Also you may want to take a look here as it have some specific configurations needed on MSSQL 2012 to run JIRA.

Hope this helps!

A move to MS-SQL is always a downgrade, it's simply not as good as Post, My or Oracle. The only time I'd recommend it is when you really don't have any expertise with the other three available. You should always go with what you can support best.

Is MSSQL 2012 supported for Jira? Also is there a direct upgrade path from Jira 4.2 to Jira 6.3?

We are planning to migrate from a old platform which is Jira 4.2 on MySQL 5.0.83 to Jira 6.3 on MSSQL 2012, is it possible or is there a different approach?

Please see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Supported+Platforms

For the upgrade, 4.2 to 6.3 is a valid step, but as always, you will need to test it for yourself. If your Jira is smallish, has few plugins (or at least the ones you have are good with upgrades) and hasn't been customised, you'll probably be fine.

But test it. And read the release notes for 4.3, 4.4, 5.0, etc

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Apr 17, 2018 in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

764 views 2 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you