Migrating from Server to Cloud

Laurel Moczydlowski December 12, 2018

Hello!

My company is looking to migrate from server to cloud, I've looked at the documentation provided by Atlassian but it's a little lack luster. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any other documentation? 

Thanks!

Laurel

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2019

Hi Laurel,

Maren here from Atlassian!

We've recently updated our documentation for helping assess cloud vs server apps during a migration, which may help as you plan your approach. In general, we recommend first assessing the need for the functionality in cloud. In some cases, you may discover that the cloud version of a product includes functionality that is fulfilled through an app on server. Before beginning a migration from server to cloud, we recommend a full evaluation of the cloud product first in order to assess the need for additional functionality.

If it is needed, we recommend contacting the vendor (Bob Swift) to create an app migration plan.

From the app description, it looks like you're considering a Jira migration. A few other resources you may find helpful as you plan your migration are:

Please feel free to leave feedback or get in touch with specific questions, as we're actively looking to improve our documentation.

Best wishes,

Maren

1 vote
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2018

Hi @Laurel Moczydlowski

I don't have experience with doing this but the documentation here seems pretty good and covers the entire process, is there anything in particular that you're not finding ? 

Basically, you'll need to have your Jira Server on the latest version, do an XML backup and import it in Cloud.

Let me know if you have any questions, 

--Alexis

Laurel Moczydlowski December 13, 2018

Thanks Alexis!

I was hoping to find something that would tell me what doesn't migrate over, and if the use of consultants to migrate is recommended.  For instance, if use a Bob Swift add-on that doesn't exist in Cloud, and it's used in multiple post functions, that will break those workflows correct? 

Thanks!

Laurel

0 votes
Sarah Schuster
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2018

Laurel -

My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Program Manager at Atlassian specializing in migrations from Server to Cloud.

I would love the opportunity to talk with you about the documentation you've reviewed and get your feedback, as well as provide planning assistance to help you move you Cloud. 

Would you be willing to meet in January to discuss your questions? If so, please use this link to book a call with me.

Cheers,
Sarah Schuster

Suggest an answer