Migrating from Lighthouse to JIRA

andrew.ohara January 21, 2013

Hi,

I am trying to migrate my issue tracking system from Lighthouse to JIRA. I haven't noticed any tools to easily import my issues and attachments. (the JSON importer only imports single files. Lighthouse has a file for every single issue)

I have spent the past two weeks writing a script to convert the JSON files to your XML backup format with a considerable degree of success; however reverse-engineering your backup format has been giving me several headaches.

I am at the point where all of my issues are migrated to my local server, but I cannot mark any issues as resolved, and attempting to create an issue yields an exception:

Error creating issue: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Issue][summary,lol][status,1][votes,0][assignee,andrew.ohara][security,null][resolutiondate,null][type,1][timespent,null][id,10400][reporter,andrew.ohara][project,10300][environment,null][created,2013-01-22 15:20:15.202][updated,2013-01-22 15:20:15.202][workflowId,10400][description,null][priority,2][timeestimate,null][duedate,null][timeoriginalestimate,null][watches,0][key,DEV-264] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO PUBLIC.jiraissue (ID, pkey,

Is there a better way to migrate my issues over?

Or can you maybe lend some light on how to resolve the two issues I have mentioned.

Thanks for any help

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
andrew.ohara January 27, 2013

It turns out that the CSV import was tailored specifically towards situations like mine. I'm using that now.

0 votes
andrew.ohara January 22, 2013

I actually ended up trying to "import project" rather than doing a system restore every time I wanted to test my script output. Using this method, I get errors where issues could not be created, but editing and creating an issue works.

After looking at the log, it would appear that there are key collisions (despite the fact that they actually are unique, and based off of their lighthouse bug number. e.g. DEV-1911), so I'm assuming that this is some insanity having to do with issue key conventions. For some reaosn, JIRA tries auto-incrementing some of the keys I give it, but I have no idea why.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

JIRA Command Line Interface has enablers for this.

Could you exlpain specifically what part of the interface is supposed to help me? And which of my problems this is supposed to help with?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

createIssue would be the most used. The rest would depend on what information you want to bring over (attachments, projects, versions, components, etc...). I have imported issues from a variety of other trackers and all were based on JCLI to do the work on the JIRA side. This approach avoids having anything to do with the XML format or issues related to not getting it right.

Thank you. I have been exploring the CLI and have been adapting my script to use it. However, I need the user id of the issue assignee and reporter, but there seems to be no way to retrieve this information. Google doesn't seem to help. Do you know how I can find the ids?

Also. Is there any way to bundle requests together to reduce wait time for multiple commands akin to an SQL transaction?

andrew.ohara January 27, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion, but it turns out that my boss would rather I use the CSV import. I hadn't realised that it is tailored specifically towards my situation.

Suggest an answer