Migrating from Internal Directory to LDAP/AD Authentication

Adam Smith February 19, 2014

I have recently taken over running an instance of JIRA 5.2.11 and am trying to neaten up its administration, namely the User Authentication. Currently we have about a 50-50 mix of Internal and LDAP Users with the user directories running simultaneously, I would like to switch to LDAP only for all users (except a few 'service' type accounts).

All of the Internal users already have LDAP accounts configured for their other Domain accesses/requirements and the Internal Accounts have matching usernames.

All of the Groups are locally managed within JIRA, we don't import any AD groups, so that is not a concern. All I really need is a simple way to make a username start linking to the LDAP Server instead of the Internal Directory without losing any of their Assigned Bugs etc.

To add LDAP Users to JIRA we add the Users to a specific group in AD, I thought maybe I could do that, giving somebody an LDAP and Internal Account in JIRA and then somehow merging them but I'm concerned that there could be a conflict if we have two accounts with matching usernames.

I've tried researching this but all of the examples I've found have been slightly different from our situation and I don't want to try something that could cause downtime.

Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2014

Hi Adam, in newer versions of JIRA you can migrate users between directories. I believe the best option for this case is upgrade JIRA and migrate the users as per this documentation.

Cheers

Suggest an answer