• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Migrating from 4.x to 6.x the naming convention is different for the attachments. In 6.x the attachments are represented by numbers, but in 4.x was by name. The directory structure appears to be the same. Therefore I am unable to view the attachments.

Migrating from 4.x to 6.x the naming convention is different for the attachments. In 6.x the attachments are represented by numbers, but in 4.x was by name. The directory structure appears to be the same. Therefore I am unable to view the attachments.

Deb Sprague August 4, 2014

Migrating from 4.x to 6.x the naming convention is different for the attachments. In 6.x the attachments are represented by numbers, but in 4.x was by name. The directory structure appears to be the same. Therefore I am unable to view the attachments.

How can I change the attachments so they can be seen?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deb Sprague August 5, 2014

Ah, I got it to work. I wasnt reading the attachments correctly. I was just untarring in the data/attachments and had not untarred int he import/attachments so when I did the import it did not pick them up. I am using a project export zip to do the imports or the projects. Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

0 votes
LLE August 7, 2014

Hello,

I think I have the same problem, that is to say that in JIRA V3 the attachments were saved in a directory linked to the JIRA issue it comes from with their original name, and that is not the case anymore in JIRA V6.

For example, for an issue called PROJ-34203, a directory called PROJ-32403 is created under /jira/jira-6.1.6/jira-6.1.6_home/data/attachments/PROJ.

Then in /jira/jira-6.1.6/jira-6.1.6_home/data/attachments/PROJ/PROJ-32403, I have all the attachments I have made in my issue, and the problem is the following :

The attachments are re-named with a number, instead of this number followed by the original name with the extension. So if an attachment is called "FILE20140807.doc", its name in the directory becomes "86383" instead of "86383_FILE20140807.doc".

Thanks for your help

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2014

What are you trying to do?

I have run into this at a couple clients when exporting Jira projects to CSV and importing into another Jira instance via the CSV importer. Since the CSV importer needs to do an http get in order to import attachments, I needed to rename the obfuscated attachment filename back to it's original name. If that's along the lines of what you're trying to accomplish, you'll need to go into the database and look at each issue that has attachments, then fetch the attachment file(s) name(s) that correspond to the obfuscated filename(s), then rename each file back to it's original name. If you can tell me a bit more about what the end goal is, there may be some other solution that will work.

Suggest an answer