• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • Migrating from 4.x to 6.x the naming convention is different for the attachments. In 6.x the attachments are represented by numbers, but in 4.x was by name. The directory structure appears to be the same. Therefore I am unable to view the attachments.

Migrating from 4.x to 6.x the naming convention is different for the attachments. In 6.x the attachments are represented by numbers, but in 4.x was by name. The directory structure appears to be the same. Therefore I am unable to view the attachments.

Migrating from 4.x to 6.x the naming convention is different for the attachments. In 6.x the attachments are represented by numbers, but in 4.x was by name. The directory structure appears to be the same. Therefore I am unable to view the attachments.

How can I change the attachments so they can be seen?

3 answers

1 accepted

Ah, I got it to work. I wasnt reading the attachments correctly. I was just untarring in the data/attachments and had not untarred int he import/attachments so when I did the import it did not pick them up. I am using a project export zip to do the imports or the projects. Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

What are you trying to do?

I have run into this at a couple clients when exporting Jira projects to CSV and importing into another Jira instance via the CSV importer. Since the CSV importer needs to do an http get in order to import attachments, I needed to rename the obfuscated attachment filename back to it's original name. If that's along the lines of what you're trying to accomplish, you'll need to go into the database and look at each issue that has attachments, then fetch the attachment file(s) name(s) that correspond to the obfuscated filename(s), then rename each file back to it's original name. If you can tell me a bit more about what the end goal is, there may be some other solution that will work.

Hello,

I think I have the same problem, that is to say that in JIRA V3 the attachments were saved in a directory linked to the JIRA issue it comes from with their original name, and that is not the case anymore in JIRA V6.

For example, for an issue called PROJ-34203, a directory called PROJ-32403 is created under /jira/jira-6.1.6/jira-6.1.6_home/data/attachments/PROJ.

Then in /jira/jira-6.1.6/jira-6.1.6_home/data/attachments/PROJ/PROJ-32403, I have all the attachments I have made in my issue, and the problem is the following :

The attachments are re-named with a number, instead of this number followed by the original name with the extension. So if an attachment is called "FILE20140807.doc", its name in the directory becomes "86383" instead of "86383_FILE20140807.doc".

Thanks for your help

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,081 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot