Migrating entire JIRA cloud system to new JIRA cloud instance

Jack Coates August 18, 2017

Hi,

We've been using JIRA cloud for a few years, but recently needed to setup a new cloud instance to reflect a company name change (Atlassian can't change domain name, so we have to migrate instances). I've been following the directions to backup the old site and restore to the new, but the new site always complains that there is no entities.xml... which is clearly not true.

So of course my next thought is that the versions might be incompatible. I've read that JIRA cloud instances are all the same version, but the About screens disagree with that guidance: 

• OLD - JIRA v1000.1197.0
  • NEW - JIRA v1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT

Is it going to be possible to restore these projects to the new instance, or do I need to think up something more creative?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Coates August 18, 2017

never mind, it was stupid. Safari's "open safe files" was still active on a new laptop, so the download was full of OSX hidden files. Restore is working now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2017

For what it's worth, you're right about the versions - Atlassian don't roll out all updates at the same time.  It's a rolling programme that affects Cloud instances gradually over a period of days or weeks, so there's generally several sets of versions that are "live".

That said, the differences are small, and the versions won't matter in most import/export cases.

Suggest an answer