Migrating a project across 2 Jira instance

salman_kagzi July 13, 2014

Hey Folks,

I am migrating a few project from a Jira server A (v 6.1.2) to Jira server B (v 6.1.2). The migration process in itself i have carried out a number of times before and though laborious, it works.

The problem I am facing this time is a bit of a different scenario I have come across first time.

In Jira Server A there are 2 Projects P1 and P2. Number of issues in these 2 projects links to each other. This time I am only migrating project P1 from Jira server A to B.

Now, how can I make sure that links in P1 still point to P2 on old server and links in P2 points to P1 in new server. I have tried going through different Jira documents and ended up finding nothing. Google search also didnt get me anywhere.

Has some done a similar migration earlier? Is there any way to ensure that links do not break.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2014

It is not possible to retain the links unless both projects are migrated over. The best you can do, I think, is to do some scripting outside of the migration to replace the existing links with the equivalent remote links.

salman_kagzi July 14, 2014

What if I created Project links between these 2 Jira projects. Would that work?

PS: I am due to experiment on that tomorrow. Your inputs would be great help.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2014

I do not think that wil work but haven't tried it before.

salman_kagzi July 14, 2014

Didnt work :'(

To my suprise link are not writtent at all. What I mean is.

Case-1: Issue from P1 links to another issue from P1. These links are imported fine.

Case-2: Issue from P1 links to an issue from P2. These links are not added at all. I couldn't find an entry for such links even in the database.

Any idea what could be happeing here? Is it somekind of limitation in Jira project import process?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2014

It is not a limitation but works as designed. The issues are in different instances and so they lose the tracebility. If you move both projects in, links will be retained.

balaji dinoct July 16, 2014

Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group] ·

I have migrated project from ondemand to JIRA standalone 6.2.3 version. After migration i cann't able to login as sysadmin.

sysadmin user is member of administrator, system-administrators group. But not in jira-user group. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA051/Retrieving+the+JIRA+AdministratorThis link i used to recover my sysadmin password. But i cann't. Can you please know any other alternative is there to recover sysadmin password.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2014

Did you add the user into groups or grant the groups required permissions? If you are confused, follow scenario A in the above document.

balaji dinoct July 16, 2014

Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group]

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't add user in the group. I have checked that there is no jira-administrators group in the cwd_group table.

select perm_parameter from jiraschema.schemepermissions where PERMISSION=0;

perm_parameter

----------------

administrators

site-admins

(2 rows)

select perm_parameter from jiraschema.schemepermissions where PERMISSION=44;

perm_parameter

---------------------------

system-administrators

confluence-administrators

(2 rows)

select child_name,parent_name from jiraschema.cwd_membership where parent_name='jira-administrators';

child_name | parent_name

------------+-------------

(0 rows)

I have followed the scenario B and i updated the sysadmin credentials. and restarted jira service eventhough i cann't able to sysadmin.
Note:
Not only for sysadmin user. i cann't able to login as normal user also.

Suggest an answer