Migrating Stash Server w/ Integrated JIRA

Brandon Barlow June 30, 2013

I will shortly be migrating our 10 user Stash server to a new 500 user Stash server on a different host. I saw this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Migrating+Stash+to+another+server . Our old Stash server is integrated with our JIRA server - how can I mass-update all of the JIRA Source Tab links to reference the new Stash server? Or, will all the links be automatically fixed when I update the Application Link to connect to the new Stash?

2 answers

0 votes
jcurleyWR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2013

I recommend using a second, generic DNS name (depending on your LAN/WAN). This name is initially set to your current stash server. After creating it, update your Jira (and other products) servers to use the generic name.

For example, when I run a nslookup on the generic name, let's say: enggit.{company-acronym}.com (for Engineering Git), it responds that the canonical name is the hostname and IP address of the actual server. Our IT dept. handles the network stuff, so I can't provide more detail.

When all is ready, stop the current stash server, replicate (see various documents on the subject) your data to the new server, fire it up, verify it, then change the generic DNS name to the new server hostname. I also suggest a test run before the "red flag" date.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2013

Hi, considering it's a migration, it'll be the "same" Stash. If you're keeping all the data - database etc, it'll have the same IDs etc. Will the URI even change with the migration? If not, nothing to worry. If the URI changes and the old one won't be running again, JIRA will let you relocate it.

Brandon Barlow July 1, 2013

The URL for the new Stash server will be different from the old. We are planning on moving all of our repositories from the old Stash to the new one. We will also be leaving our old 10 user Stash server online (for testing other things).

Brandon Barlow July 1, 2013

The URL for the new Stash server will be different from the old. We are planning on moving all of our repositories from the old Stash to the new one. We will also be leaving our old 10 user Stash server online (for testing other things).

Suggest an answer