Migrating Projects to new Jira server

Chirag Rustgi November 13, 2013

Our company is trying to migrate projects from one instance of Jira to another.

The project import service throws "The Issue Link Type 'jira_subtask_link' is required for the import but does not exist in the current JIRA instance." error.

Our projects only use one subtask, "Technical Task" created by greenhopper, which exists on both servers.

Projects without subtasks migrate fine. Is there something I am doing wrong?

5 answers

1 vote
PedroA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2013

Hey Chirag,
Thanks for the update.

The following two pages can help you on that ;-)

1. Linking Issues
  2. Configuring Issue Linking

Please have a try and let us know how it goes!
Looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers,
Pedro.

Chirag Rustgi November 14, 2013

Hi Pedro,

That didn't work since I am not able to specify the pstyle of the issue link. I think I will have to edit it directly from the DB since the REST API doesn't allow users to specifiy the pstyle field as well. The other option is putting a null value for the style in the xml backup for that link.

0 votes
PedroA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2013

Hi Chirag,
Thanks for letting us know.

That would work, although I would test first on a sandbox to guarantee this change into the DB would smoothly be adopted by JIRA app. If it worth the effort, it would be an option. If we are talking about 1K+ issues with many issue links, then it worths. Please let us know your thoughts about that.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers,
Pedro

0 votes
PedroA
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2013

Hey Chirag,
Thanks for the feedback.

So is this issue link 'jira_subtask_link' present into the destination JIRA? As per the error, looks like somehow JIRA is not able to find it. Could you double-check or try it again, just to see if the error message changes? I believe you are all set with the pre-requisites, so, this should not be an issue ;)

Cheers,
Pedro.

I checked the DB and it seems that this issue link exists on the old server and not on the new server. I verified this in the issuelinktype tables on the DBs. I do not know why this link does not exist on the new server.

0 votes

Hi Pedro,

I am doing well.

I have already checked the issue links under System Administration and added all the issue links onto the new server.

0 votes
PedroA
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2013

Hey Chirag, how you doing? =)

It may be the case that you have an 'issue link' type in the source project that is not present into the destination JIRA. (Issue links are often used to associate issues that are dependent / complementar/ side effect, e.g. blocks, relates, is related, is more important etc). Please check more of this subject here:

Take care and best regards!

Cheers,
Pedro.

Suggest an answer