Migrating/Moving JIRA

Sumeetmol Vasavan November 26, 2013

We are planning to migrate JIRA application from one server to another.

Our database would remain on the same server, we are only moving the JIRA and CONFLUENCE services to a different server. Also the old and the new servers have the same operating system etc.

Can anyone please let me know how I can do this? Will I need to install JIRA and CONFLUENCE again on the new server and just point to the existing database for connection? Will doing this migrate the plugins and attachments too to the new server?

Anything I need to keep in mind?

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2013

Hi Sumeetmol,

Please use the links provided by Bhushan above for refereces.

Basically, yes, you may install the same version of JIRA and Confluence on the new server and point to your existing datbase.

However you need to copy your entire home directory to the new server as well, all you installed plugins jar files, as well as attachments etc. are stored in the home directories.

You may need to migrate some configurations or modified files (customisations to source or template files for example) from the installation directories. You would find details in the links provided by Bhushan above as I said before.

0 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2013

Hi Sumeetmol,

Please use the links provided by Bhushan above for refereces.

Basically, yes, you may install the same version of JIRA and Confluence on the new server and point to your existing datbase.

However you need to copy your entire home directory to the new server as well, all you installed plugins jar files, as well as attachments etc. are stored in the home directories.

You may need to migrate some configurations or modified files (customisations to source or template files for example) from the installation directories. You would find details in the links provided by Bhushan above as I said.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2013

Hi Suneetmol,

Everything required to migrate JIRA and confluence has been documented here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Migrating+Confluence+Between+Servers

Thank you

Bhushan

Suggest an answer