Migrating Jira to Oracle 12.2: "Unsupported Collation"

Snorre Selmer October 15, 2019

Now that Jira finally supports Oracle 12.2, we're rushing as best we can to get our (Windows) Jira Server moved to our 12.2 database.

What we've done in our testing environment so far is export the Jira database from 11g to 12.2 using Oracle tools, upgrade the Jira instance itself, point it to the new database by editing the dbconfig.xml file, and things seemingly work fine. Except we get a warning that there is a problem with the database collation.

I've followed the directions in this article to debug the situation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/database-collation-health-check-fails-in-jira-server-with-oracle-database-828788420.html

I've run all three SQL queries, and they returned (in order) "BINARY", "NORWEGIAN", and "NORWEGIAN"

Our Jira log says:

user.country : US
user.country.format : NO
user.language : en
user.language.format : no

I tried both options 1 and 2 (on the Windows service in the case of option 2), but none work. The four user.* arguments above don't change, and in the case of option 2, the database connection failed completely with "Unknown locale" error.

So now I'm wondering if nls_session_parameters is set every time Jira connects, or if I should manually override it (unless that will be harmful to the database). If it's set every time Jira starts, I need some input on what other avenues I have available to me to get the session collation to be BINARY as well.

0 answers

Suggest an answer