Migrating Jira project from version 6.2.4 to 6.1.5

abhishek mittal April 1, 2014

Please suggest an approach to to migrate Jira project from version 6.2.4 to 6.1.5.

2 answers

0 votes
abhishek mittal April 5, 2014

Thanks Nic..

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2014

You can't natively. Jira only supports upgrades.

You could export it and try hacking the xml to import it into an older version. Export to CSV and reimport (some information will be lost, and that will only take issues across). Transform the data into a Jelly, Groovy or CLI scrip.

The right approach depends on the complexity of the data and exactly how you and what you need to import.

Might I ask why you're doing this?

abhishek mittal April 1, 2014

Thanks NIC for your prompt response. We have existing projects on atlassian on Demand before we had Enterprise Jira installed. We would like to consolidate all JIRA projects from On Demand to in-house JIRA instance. Similarly we have confluence spaces to migrate from on Demand confluence to version 5.4.3 in-house. Could you also let us no the planned dates for next upgrade for On-demand JIRA and Confluence.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2014

Ok, that makes sense, I assume some form of export/import that will lose some of your data is not good enough (which rules out CSV and scripting probably)

I would...

1. Get the daily backup from OnDemand
  2. Create a new 6.1.5 development Jira, empty
  3. Import the 6.2 backup into the dev Jira - it will warn you that you're importing more recent data, but it will do it
  4. Export from the dev Jira
  5. Use "Project import" in the production Jira to import the project(s) you need from there

Confluence might be easier - if you're on Confluence 5.something, you should be able to export a space from OnDemand and simply import it into your local one.

As for OnDemand updates, the precise dates are "when they're ready". (That's Atlassian's standard policy on releases, and I can't give you even a rough estimate - I'm not an Atlassian)

Suggest an answer