Migrating Jira/Confluence/Fisheye using P2V

Steve Fredrickson August 6, 2013

We currently have all three products running on the same server but now want to move it to a VM. We are using Hyper-V as our VM engine and I've had some experience moving application servers straight across using P2V software.

My question is two-fold:

1) Can you do a P2V migration of the Atlassian Tools?

2) If so, are they any "gotchas" to worry about?

The new VM server would have the same name, IP address, etc. as the old physical server. We think having this luxury would be easier than trying to do a standard migration of each tool. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rstephens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

Hi Steve,

There are no specific gotchas to worry about and no reason why a P2V migration of a machine running Atlassian tools wouldn't work - our products don't interact with the OS at a particularly low level so don't do anything which wouldn't migrate cleanly.

However I would suggest ensuring that you stop the processes for the atlassian tools and also for your database server before migrating to ensure a consistent state of the migrated data.

-Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the quick response! Our external DB is on SQL 2008 R2 and I just migrated all three last weekend to a new DB server. I got really familiar with stopping the processes and making sure it's all "quiet" before doing the move. Assuming we go forward with the P2V migration I'll post here how it went.

I'm going to generate a new posting regarding renaming the new server. I've seen some similar questions out there, but most of those involved migrating to a new server that has a new name. In this case we're simply renaming the existing server that the tools are running on. You don't have to reply to that question here - a new thread is a great way to (a) keep this one a P2V discussion and (b) allow other folks thinking of renaming their server a stream to feed off of.

Steve

Richard,

Thanks for the quick response! Our external DB is on SQL 2008 R2 and I just migrated all three last weekend to a new DB server. I got really familiar with stopping the processes and making sure it's all "quiet" before doing the move. Assuming we go forward with the P2V migration I'll post here how it went.

I'm going to generate a new posting regarding renaming the new server. I've seen some similar questions out there, but most of those involved migrating to a new server that has a new name. In this case we're simply renaming the existing server that the tools are running on. You don't have to reply to that question here - a new thread is a great way to (a) keep this one a P2V discussion and (b) allow other folks thinking of renaming their server a stream to feed off of.

Steve

Suggest an answer