Migrating Jira Board from one Project to another

Gayo Primic September 15, 2022

We have been working with Development Partner for the last > 8 years, and we are now moving to an in-house partner.

We have a Single Jira Board with > 2,500 stories that we are wanting to migrate to our own instance of Jira.

How do we do this?

Thank you

Gayo

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Hi @Gayo Primic , welcome to the community.

If you are saying that you wish to move a project from one instance to another then I would suggest two options.

• use the export/import CSV feature - This will give you complete control over what and how the import is achieved. You basically would set up a new project and the new instance as desire to meet your needs. Then you will export your issues using a JQL query. I would advise using either the Sheets or Excel official extension to achieve this goal given the number of issues you have. Massage your CSV file to meet your import needs and then use the import feature on the new instance. Once you get all the issues imported you can address the Board needs.
  • use a marketplace add-on to achieve this migration. There are some good add-ons for this capability and might make things easier for you. You can also do this using a trial versus having to pay for on going if you don't plan to use it continuously.
Gayo Primic September 15, 2022
  • My concern around using CSV is that I'll loose all of my RichText and Comments / Attachments. (There are many.)
  • I've looked for a marketplace add-on but am not sure which direction to go. Could you please suggest one or two?

Thank you

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

You can retain comments and attachments however formatting would be lost. Regarding advice on the marketplace app I have listed one here that I have seen mentioned in the community but there are others. I cannot recommend any specific one as I have never used any personally. My recommendation though would be to peruse the community for input on these applications, read the reviews, and most importantly try it out and see what you like.

Other than the one shared below, you might find the following documentation of interest- perform-a-cloud-to-cloud-migration-for-jira 

deep-clone-for-jira - i actually saw another thread discussing this just this morning - How-to-Migrate-a-Single-Project-from-a-Jira-instance-to-another 

Like # people like this
Gayo Primic September 16, 2022

Thank you

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders