Migrating JIRA to new server and cannot view old projects

Anton Muller May 12, 2014

Hi I am busy migrating our current JIRA server, App as well as Database to a new server. Steps I followed

1. Backup database (SQL Server)
  2. Backup JIRA Home Directory
  3. Install same version of JIRA, JAVA and Tomcat on new server
  4. Restore database on new JIRA database server (SQL Server)
  5. Copy JIRA home directory to new server and direct to it using JIRA configuration Tool, this includes attachments
  6. Startup JIRA setting basic settings and entering license key

Now I need to be able to see the messages and attachments that has been stored in the database and backed up directories but are unable to see this, I don't want to use the xml import function as I keep running into java heap memory errors, (even increasing java and tomcat maximums this makes no difference)

Your assistance will be appreciated

Regards

Anton

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Wojtek Wierzycki May 21, 2014

If you cant beat them...

So I managed to rather use the .xml import funtion to restore the database / system

What did I do differently? Initially when doing the import I ran into java heap memory size errors, I increased the minimum and maximum sizes in the setenv.bat file (JIRA bin directory). BUT I kept getting these errors, the import will get to 90% and then bomb out.

What I did is to stop the Atlassian JIRA service, installed by default in Services, under Administrative Tools, and rather start the services in the JIRA installation directory.

And low and behold the import completed successfully.

The reason for this is that JIRA was now actually recognising my installation directory as my CWD or Current Working Directory as appose to the default CWD (c:\windows\system32) and was now actually using the java set in setenv.bat

Stoked, but still not convinced migrating without .xml import is actually possible

0 votes
Gregory Kneller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2014

Don't trust JIRA configuration Tool and double check the connection settings in dbconfig.xml

0 votes
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2014

Since database is in different place, you should update database connection in step 5.5. If starting jira asks you for basic settings and license key - you did something wrong. I believe - with this migration method - it should start on login screen.

Anton Muller May 12, 2014

Hi Andris, I am using the JIRA configuration Tool to set the database connnection to point to my new database, so it is definetely pointing to the right database. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am ending up at the basic settings and license key screen, and needless to say when logging in I cannot see any of my projects.

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

Please double check your path to jira home directory. It may be case sensitive. Or maybe you extracted in subdirectory. For example, in config you have /home/atlassian-data, but you extracted it in /home/atlassian-data/atlassian-data

Anton Muller May 14, 2014

Hi Andris, the JIRA home directory is exactly the same as on the current server.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA

Out of desperation I have uninstalled JIRA completely, reiinstalled following the above mentioned steps again.... BUT I am still ending up at the setup screen with NO projects or user data, or anything for that matter indicating that I am connected to the newly restored database.

All forums explain how to import usings xml , but not ONE properly explain how to migrate and restore using MSSQL or other external databases. Please assist if you can this is very annoying.

Suggest an answer