Migrating JIRA to another Server with the same Database ?

Aurelien Collard March 8, 2016

Hi there,

We are performing our first migration and this might be a silly question but if we want to keep the same data from our old server (jira6.3/oracle) into our new Jira(7.1/oracle), is it still better to build the new server with an empty database and then import the data via the xml export or can we simply point the new JIRA to use the old database using the same connection ?

Thank you

1 answer

3 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2016

Hi @Aurelien Collard,

First of all you can't point your JIRA 7.1 to the old database since the DB architecture might be changed from 6.3 to 7.1. I also do not recommend performing a XML backup.

To migrate from one server to another I recommend the following:

1. Copy the home and installation directory from the old server to the new one. This steps needs to validate the the new installation directory points to the correct home directory. The second option is to do a fresh installation on the new server(JIRA 6.3) and replace the home directory with the old one. This step requires to recreate all modifications done on the old installation directory(templates,...)
  2. Run the upgrade package on the new server to upgrade JIRA to 6.3.

Following the above steps you will ensure you will have a clean migration.

N.B. I recommend upgrading to JIRA 6.4.12 since it provides lots of performance enhancements over JIRA 6.3

Aurelien Collard March 9, 2016

Thank you Georges, it turns out I made a bad choice and pointed the new server to the current db which worked well for the new server but killed the old one.

Long story short I got the new server to work after the migration of the home directory and a few more config file.

I have learn my lesson and will follow your steps next time.

Suggest an answer