Migrating JIRA from Cloud instance to server instance

Marcin Beczynski February 19, 2016

Hi All,

I had to migrate my JIRA from cloud instance to server one do you had some experience i that are or know some isse ?? at knowledge base this process is describe as install the same version as we had on cloud and here is first problem at cloud latest version is 7.2 and at serer is 7.1 and generate XML backup and the restore it to server one.

Looking forward for some idea and hint's and thanks in advice for all your help 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2016

You can install the latest JIRA server and then modify the build version in the XML backup file, so JIRA does not stop you from importing it. We've done a lot of these migrations and most of the time there are no issues importing newer backup XML into lower JIRA server version. You'll need to re-configure a bunch of settings and do some user/group clean up to remove some system users/groups that are used by JIRA cloud.

Depending on the on-prem setup you might hit some other issues that will require additional work like - if you need to move the users to external user directory and as part of that you need to rename them to match the naming policy of the LDAP, AD, etc....

Botron also offers doing such migrations as part of PSO engagements, so if you're interested just drop us a mail at support@botronsoft.com

Suggest an answer