Migrating Confluence using Home Directory & MySQL Backup

Dustin Herbison May 28, 2012

I was following the Atlassian documentation which mentioned that I should create manual backups of confluences attachments (or more generally, the whole home folder) and backup the MySQL database which supports it, instead of using the built in confluence XML backup. The server which I was running has stopped functioning and I'm trying to migrate to a new one now. I have a MySQL backup, as well as a backed up copy of my home directory, but I'm not sure how to use these to restore my instance on a new server. Do I re-install confluence as a blank instance, then overwrite the home directory and MySQL database data? Or is there a better process to follow with what I have? Thanks.

(I'm actually in this boat with all of my products, Crowd and JIRA as well).

Notes: Running on a Ubuntu Server

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2012

Hi there,

If you have those two backup files, it is not necessary for you to install a fresh instance. Please try the following steps

1. Restore your database backup
  2. Ensure that your HOME directory backup pointed to the restored MySQL database
    • Configured in confluence.cfg.xml for direct connection (JDBC)
    • Configured in server.xml and confluence.cfg.xml for datasource connection (JNDI)
  3. Prepare a new installation directory
  4. Pointed the new installation directory to your backup HOME directory
  5. Re-configure installation directory if necessary (port, context path etc)
  6. Start-up Confluence

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Suggest an answer