Migrated users using project impot cannot login (LDAP)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

Hi All

I recently performed a project import from one jira instance to another. During the project import, a lot of users were also migrated over to the new instance.

The problem I am facing is that the new users who were migrated can no longer login (LDAP authentication). However, the old users can login as normal (LDAP authentication).

Any ideas what may be going wrong?

PS: project import was done on 4.1.2 and the currently i am on 5.0.2. The issue got detected now (i.e. when we are on 5.0.2). Also some migrated users (LDAP authenticated) can login some cannot, so it is intermittent.

Rahul

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2013

I think I have found the root cause of this. The source (on which users were migrated) Jira OSUser.xml was different from target(from which the users were migrated) Jira's OSUSEr.xml.

The source was then upgraded to 5.0.2.

And it is mentioned in the upgrade guides that if users are upgraded using a different OSUSer.xml then they will never be able to authenticate agaist an LDAP directory.

Rahul

0 votes
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

do you have same list of LDAP Directories in both JIRAs?
does internal and external users use same user directories?

does order of user directories in list are the same?
maybe you need to check in JIRA databases for directory_id in cwd_directory and cwd_users

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2013

You mean on 4.1.2 the user able to login but not after upgrade to 5.0.2? Earlier, did the project import create the users in internal?

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2013

No....after project import (done on 4.1) the issue was not detected. It got detected now (when we are on 5.0.).

More surprisingly, not all migrated users are unable to login. Some can some cannot.

The issue only relates to internal employees who are LDAP authenticated.

Suggest an answer