Migrate users in jira

Shamith Shankar March 13, 2015

Hi ,

I need to migrate users from internal to Active Directory(not internal with LDAP). so i think migrating option in JIRA doesn't work for this  scenario. AM i right ?  My main concern is not to retain username or full name, but the use history, when we move into Active directory authentication. please suggest what options are there either in database or script wise .

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2015

Hi Shamith,

You could try to disable the AD directory while renaming your internal users appropriately. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra 

1 vote
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2015

Hi Shamith,

It is not necessary for you to migrate users considering your purpose. When the username of the user are exactly the same between the AD and internal, JIRA will think that it is the same user. What you need to do is just to put the AD directory in the higher order than JIRA internal directory.

Any duplicate users in the lower order directory will be ignored by JIRA and its content history will merge into the user from the higher order directory.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra 

Roberto Cornacchia November 13, 2015

Hi Septa, luckily I found this answer which solves my problem as well. May I ask a follow up question? Is the history merging done dynamically? Or is it persistent? In other words, is there any point in time when I can delete the user in internal directory without losing his history?

0 votes
Patrick Escher October 24, 2017

Is there a possibility to go the other way around?

our users are currently coming from ActiveDirectory and we want to 'copy' them to the internal Jira User Directory, as we are going to obsolete the ActiveDirectory

Thanks, 

Patrick

0 votes
Shamith Shankar March 16, 2015

Thanks Septa. You almost saved my life smile I have to make sure both users have same role, so that filters will not be affected. Rest everything looks fine.

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2015

always a pleasure

0 votes
Shamith Shankar March 16, 2015

Hi Septa,

Thanks for the suggestion .I thought of that solution as well, but unfortunately JIRA is not allowing to rename internal User to same username as AD user saying 'A user with that username already exists' . Since there is already an AD account user created in JIRA.

Suggest an answer