Migrate to cloud - Multiple products under the same site?

Adam Beck June 21, 2022

Apologies I've tried searching this but haven't had luck. Hoping someone can give me some quick clarification on a a few things when it comes to cloud. (Essentially I have 1 question that if true has a couple follow up questions)

Our organization has 3 Jira instances. 2 of these are server based Jira Project Management Software. 1 is Jira Service Management in the cloud under our org/site. 

I am now looking to migrate the first server jira product to the cloud. This is a simpler migration (no addons, hopefully hit the button and go type thing). 

Should/can this "live" in the same site as the current Jira Project Management Software instance (so oursite.atlassian.net/jira2/ for example). If so, how do I tell it to do so during the migration (as all I see is the ability to select our site) Or does every instance of jira need a version of our site to live under (oursite2.atlassian.net/jira/ for example)

If that is the case, for testing purposes, as I havent done this before, should I create a new site, for example testing.atlassian.net, to test the data migration, before doing a proper migration to the final destination?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2022

@Adam Beck Welcome to the Atlassian community

Whenever you are doing a migration I would recommend creating a test instance to validate the migration before doing it on your production site.  Atlassian recommends this as well.  https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/test-your-server-to-cloud-migration/

If you have a Jira Service Management site in your organization it will use the following url yourdomain.atlassian.net/jira/servicedesk/projects/SITENAME

The URL for the Software instance will be yourdomain.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/SITENAME  I would suggest creating the site in your organization so you can select it during the migration process.  When you migrate your next site you would need to create it and select it.  Your employees will be able to see all the sites in Atlassian start or toggle between them in the upper right-hand corner in the app select.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events