Migrate from crowd to jira internal

Robert Bridgeman October 3, 2013

How can I migrate all my users that were created in crowd to the Jira internal database? I'd like to stop using crowd and just utilize the internal database that Jira provides. What are the steps to do so?

3 answers

2 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2019

Hi everyone,

I believe the current answer to this old question is actually out of date now.  Instead I would invite you to check out this KB Migrating from External Directory to Jira Internal User Directory.   I believe it will cover the scenario of moving from a Crowd directory back down to a Jira internal user directory for the much more recent versions of Jira, 6.x -> 8.x

If you are using Confluence right now with an external directory, like Crowd, you can also follow the Confluence equivalent KB in Reverting from Crowd or Jira applications to Internal User Management.

Please note that the steps to do this are not officially supported by Atlassian because they require you to manually hack at the SQL database a bit.  So we would strongly recommend testing this in a staging server before you try this in a production environment, Create SQL backups before you do, and stop the Jira/Confluence applications before trying to perform any update/create/delete operations in SQL.

Regards,

Andy

1 vote
Answer accepted
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2013

If you synchronize your user directories between JIRA and Crowd, the user data from Crowd should be present in the JIRA internal directory. From here, you should only need to remove or disable Crowd. Please refer to this page for more details.

Christopher Mohr March 18, 2014

Hello Mick,

I'd like to revive this question. I see Crowd set as an external directory and I am logged in with an admin user from the JIRA internal directory. You are saying when I deactivate Crowd now, all the users and groups are in the JIRA cache and will be synchronized to the internal directory? I am not sure if I understand this correctly.

IT Support April 30, 2014

Hi Mick,

As far as I know the migration from Crowd to JIRA internal directory invoke some complicated steps (or database hack) to change the directory id etc.

Can you explain more on this?

Nicolas Esteves July 7, 2015

Hello, I'd like to know in details these steps. Did you find them? Regards, Nicolas.

1 vote
Ilya Kuchaev August 24, 2017

And it's still an issue.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2019

What about migrate by SQL tables ? 

Like Ilya Kuchaev likes this
Ilya Kuchaev April 15, 2019

Yeah! But how?! I didn't find one direct answer regarding this question. Only questions, a lot of...

Suggest an answer