Migrate attachments from Jira Server to Jira Cloud?

Daniel Pasacrita October 10, 2017

Is there a way to migrate attachments from a Jira Server instance to a Jira Cloud instance?

We have a server instance that we're migrating data from into a new cloud instance. I've been utilizing the CSV import to move data up into the cloud, which works fine, but it can't import attachments.

I have a script I wrote that can upload attachments using the API, but that only works if I have the attachments neatly seperated into folders (named by the issue key) and the full filenames within. Jira server doesn't store them this way, so that script is useless for my purposes, and I don't have the expertise or no how to translate how they store them into something useful.

So what can I do here? What is the easiest way to make this happen? Surely someone has run into this situation and can give me some advice.

JIRA v7.4.2

I have no paid plugins, and the odds of me getting approval for one for something like this are next to nil, so please don't suggest any, they wouldn't be helpful.

2 answers

1 vote
Maurice
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2017

Hi Daniel,

The typical method of getting attachments from Server to Cloud is to include the attachments with an initial full Jira Server backup that is imported into the Cloud. This brings all the issues along with their attachments into your Cloud instance.

This is more of a one time process though as the backup will erase all data on the Cloud instance to replace it with the data from the Server instance. We have instructions on how to get the attachment data into the Jira Server backup:

Migrating from JIRA Server to JIRA Cloud

Another possible option here would be to setup a new empty Server instance, you could then merge your existing Server instance with your Cloud instance and then migrate that combined instance back to the Cloud. This is useful if you have data in Cloud that can't be overwritten by the Server data coming in.

Best regards,
Brian

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2018

Suggest an answer