Migrate and Update JIRA

NickW March 31, 2014

I am looking at creating a fresh installation of JIRA on a VM that has more resources available. In doing this I also want to move from 6.0.4 to 6.2.

Is it OK to to do the database export as listed in the online documentation from one version and then import it in to the new version?

Or would it be best to install a fresh 6.0.4 system and import into that and then do the upgrade?

Is there anything else I need to watch out for?

Cheers

Nick

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2014

In general Atlassian suggests migrations should occur on the same OS, but may include compatible upgrades. The filesystem depends on the OS, and even minor versions will include DB upgrade tasks.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA

The process you are describing is essentially identical to the upgrade process (assuming similar OS). And if your keeping the same DB, very easy.

1. Shutdown JIRA on server
  2. Backup home, install and db
  3. Move home to new server
  4. Run new JIRA on new server. If the DB connections are the same, and it can find the home path, it will upgrade in place.

DId I mention to back everything up first?

NickW March 31, 2014

Hi Eddie

Thanks for this. The reason for doing the migration though is to change the OS. Originally the system was a samll local one which has now grown to be used by many people. It is currently on a VM Win7 box and I was looking at moving it to Win Server 2012 R2 - more robust/memory/cCPU cores. As I mentioned the only other change was to upgrade the JIRA version. I was planning on sticking with MySQL.

I assume when you wrote 'similar OS' you meant sticking to Windows rather than say wanting to go from Windows to Linux...

1 vote
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2014

You can migrate/clone database with DB tools, copy jira home, install jira 6.2, point it to copied home, and change dbconfig.xml to clonned database. After jira startup update plugins. Should be fine, but test first. Be aware of automated email notifications from new instance.

NickW March 31, 2014

Hi Andris

You make it sound simple.. Thanks for the tip of regarding e-mails and notifications

Nick

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2014

Hi Nick,

The upgrade process should be semmless because you are migrating within the same major JIRA version

Is it OK to to do the database export as listed in the online documentation from one version and then import it in to the new version?

Yes, i think the above approach should be fine. Only thing you need to be carefeul about is the plugin compatibility.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2014

Just make sure you thoroughly test all the plugins on the updated version on a test machine before making the actual move.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2014

Your comment is misleading. Major and minor have nothing to do with potential database impacts. Upgrade tasks can be bundled in any release.

NickW March 31, 2014

Thanks Tarun... the next stop will be checking plugin compatability

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2014

Hi Eddie,

Yes I agree with you regarding - Major and minor have nothing to do with potential database impacts

But generally what I observe in Jira versions is what share with others, and upgrading/migrating within the same major jira version is hardly any trouble.

NickW March 31, 2014

Having checked the plugin compatability it looks like I will only be going as far as 6.1.7

Suggest an answer