Migrate a project from 3.13 Jira instance to another 4.3.x Jira instance.

Michal Krenca October 16, 2012

Hello,

i saw a lot of article about how upgrade or restore a Jira instance, but I'm still confused. Is it possible to move one Project from old Jira version to another Jira instance with different versions without "damage" the Jira instance ?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2012

No.

Well, yes, but it's not a single step.

Single project import requires the source and target Jira instances to be on the same version. So, your process is either

• Export from 3.13
  • Import everyting into a temporary 4.3 install
  • Export from the temporary 4.3
  • Import the single project

Or

• Export from 3.13
  • Import your project into a temporary 3.13 install (not as easy as it sounds, as you need to think about the supporting stuff)
  • Upgrade that 3.13 to 4.3
  • Export from the upgraded 4.3
  • Import the single project

Hi Nic,

thank you very much for your posting.

I'm not sure what you mean with import and export on each step.

• Do you mean "Export from 3.13" the automatical xml export ?
  • "Import everyting into a temporary 4.3 install" - All Custom Fields, Screens, Workflow... by hand and via xml automaticaly ?
  • "Export from the temporary 4.3" - automaticaly xml export ?
  • "Import the single project " - via xml automaticaly ?
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2012

Ah, ok, I've done this sort of thing too often, and skimmed the details, sorry

1. Yes, an export is a full Jira xml backup/export - that contains everything except the attachments.
  2. "Import everything into a temporary 4.3" - yes, you use the xml export of everything. No need to do anything by hand, it'll get all the projects, schemes and so-on. You'll end up with a system the same as when you took the export.
  3. "Export from the temporary 4.3" - yes export the full xml
  4. "import the single project" - yes, but use the "import project" option instead of the "import everything" option. The single project import process needs a full Jira xml export as a source, but is then selective about which bits it imports.

Thank you very much, i will try this out tomorow :)

Where can i find the "import project" option ?

Michal Krenca October 17, 2012

Where can i find the "import project" option ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2012
0 votes
AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2012

Nic

What about if there are same scheme names in 2 instances, some priorities may have already been there in target instance -- did you have to deal with any such situations..

Abe

Suggest an answer