Migrate LDAP users from one directory to another

Ruben Demey March 30, 2015

We have 3 user directories:

• JIRA Delegated Authentication Directory (Generic Directory Server)
  • snk-ldap-test-clone (OpenLDAP (Read/Write))
  • JIRA Internal Directory (Internal)

And as of now, we have 2 LDAP servers within our company:

• Zimbra
  • OpenLDAP

Currently this is how we're working:

• Before we moved to JIRA 5.x, we used the first user directory. It's connected to our Zimbra LDAP. We're still using this, but we want to get rid of it.
  • After we moved to JIRA 5.x, we started using OpenLDAP. So the majority of users are from the "JIRA Delegated Authentication Directory", while all new users are from "snk-ldap-test-clone".
  • We also use the "JIRA Internal Directory", but purely for users that are not in both LDAPs, thus not present in the two other user directories.

Our goal is to remove the "JIRA Delegated Authentication Directory", since it's obsolete and all its users can be found in "snk-ldap-test-clone". So I'm trying to migrate the users.

However, I only have two options:

Migrate from directory:

• JIRA Delegated Authentication Directory
  • JIRA Internal Directory

Migrate to directory:

• JIRA Delegated Authentication Directory
  • JIRA Internal Directory

Unfortunately, there's no way to migrate the users using built-in functionality.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of "adventure"?

3 answers

0 votes
Mark Armitage April 30, 2015

Oh - realized that the original question was related to JIRA- my question is about Confluence

0 votes
Mark Armitage April 30, 2015

I have a similar problem.  We currently authenticate against one server, but need to switch to a new server, and at the same time switch user names - while keeping the people attached to the same accounts during this process.  How can we manage this?  @Jobin Kuruvilla suggests that "you have to do some renaming", but I'm not clear where this renaming would take place.  Wouldn't it have to be on the current LDAP server?  That would be very disruptive, as the server is used for authentication of a bunch of other services too (and we don't want to change people's logins on those services).

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2015

If the user names are the same in all the directories, it is an easy task. Add the new directory, make sure the relevant groups are available in the new directory and move it to the top of the directory list under Administration > User Directories.

If the user names are different, you have to do some renaming.

Suggest an answer