Migrate Jira Software (Cloud) to JSM (Cloud)

Irish Jamili
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 14, 2024

Hi All, 

I have been reviewing documentation and I can't find a direct answer. Is it possible to migrate Jira (Cloud) to JSM (Cloud)? 

If it is possible, how to migrate? 

Thanks, 

Irish

1 answer

0 votes
Nikola Perisic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2024

Welcome to the community @Irish Jamili 

Sadly, this is not possible, since these two products are completely different feature wise.

• Jira Software - used for things such as software development and managing the issues with the Scrum and Kanban boards
  • Jira Service Management - this product is being used to create requests where you have the customers who are making the request on a portal and agents who can see these requests from the agent side

However, in Jira Service Management, you can create boards as well. Here are some things that you should take into the account: 

1. Assignees: Do all of the assignees have the JSM license and are members of the Service Desk Team role in the new project?  If not, the assignee will be cleared out
  2. Components:  Similar to above, you need to recreate all of the components in the JSM project or the impacted issues will lose their respective components
  3. Workflows: Make sure you have a clear plan for mapping issue statuses.  JSM projects typically have more statuses than software projects
  4. Issue Type Mapping: You'll need to ensure you have a path for your issue types as JSM doesn't typically use Stories, Bugs, etc.  Instead they use issue types like Service Request, Incident, etc.  This is especially important for the next item.
  5. Portal Visibility: Jira Software does not leverage the portal.  If you want the reporters to now see their old software issues on the portal, they'll need a request type assigned so if you want this, you'll need to follow up your bulk move with some bulk edits
  6. Epic to Queue: JSM does not recognize Epics like JS. Technically you can use them, but the UI is not designed for it.  So if you were using Epics, you'll probably want to find a way to group the issues (label, component, etc.) and create queues accordingly to replace the Epics

Credit goes to @Mark Segall for writing the answer on this article: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-Migrate-from-Jira-to-Jira-Service-Management/qaq-p/2386932

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events