Migrate JIRA server to JIRA cloud

Michael Wetthasinghe June 1, 2016

I tried to migrate my 50 user, commercial licensed, JIRA server to my 50 user, trial licensed, JIRA cloud as a mock migration to work out what's required for an actual migration. But at the end I got this error. Now I have lost all usability of my JIRA cloud instance.

image2016-6-2 14:3:33.png

Steps I followed:-

1. Backup JIRA data
  2. Compress $jira_home/data/attachments
  3. Compress $jira_home/data/avatars
  4. Compress $jira_home/logos
  5. Upload to Jira cloud using a webdav client (i used Cyberduck)
  6. Complete Import cloud wizard
    - Enable outgoing mail

Some points:

• My compressed directories are in tar format.
  • My JIRA backup is in ZIP format.
  • During the import at the point where I was asked to give logos archive name, I had to leave it blank as during my previous attempt, the page denied my logos.tar file. This was an empty archive as I had nothing inside $jira_home/logos directory.

Can anybody explain to me;

1. How to get my JIRA cloud instance back to a working state? I understand I had lost all previous data. I don't care about the previous data, I just want to retry the import.
  2. Has anyone done this before? If so, could you please guide me through the process?

Thanks in advance.

~ Mike

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2016

I think this one needs to go to Atlassian support on https://support.atlassian.com - my instinct is to read logs to see where the import failed (you can't do that on Cloud, you need support to do it) and to clean out the database and start again (which you need support to do on Cloud)

Suggest an answer