Migrate JIRA project from 4.4 to 6.0

Eric Dan November 16, 2014

Hi,

my organisation has two JIRA instances. One is 4.4 and one is 6.0

I would like to move a JIRA project from the 4.4 instance to the 6.0 instance. I was not able to find any documentation for this. I understand I can create a filter and export all fields to an excel sheet. Is that the only way to do this? 
Is there any other way to properly move all this data from one instance to another, newer instance?

Thanks! 

1 answer

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2014

The most common way is to restore a project from backup with all its painful process.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Merge+JIRA+Instances

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41684

I have also done a the very painful process of updating the xml export to get things to import correctly.  Multiple trial and error tests to get things working correctly.  

The other approach is a custom script using APIs to extract and import issues which might be easier.  I believe you will need some of the older api's (RPC) verses using REST all the way through.  So you will have a conversion issue to deal with as well.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2014

To expand on that process briefly, it is - Export everything from 4.4 - Import it into a, empty temporary dev copy of 6.0, which upgrades it - Export from 6.0 - Set up all the fields, screens, workflows and so-on that you need to support the project in 6.0 Use "project import" to pull in just that one project from the 6.0 export As Norman says, painful...

Suggest an answer