Migrate JIRA from linux to windows

Francesc_Arbó February 2, 2015

Hi all,

I have to move one JIRA instance from a linux server to a windows server. I was thinking in a staging server (moving the install folder, the data folder and the database).

If I have a JIRA installed in the new server (same version), can I move the data folder and the database, configure the bin and conf folders and start the migrated JIRA?

Thank you in advance.

3 answers

1 vote
Shanye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2015

What you're describing is documented here: Migrating JIRA to Another Server. One difference is that the documentation advises that you take an XML backup of the original JIRA system, start the new JIRA server while connected to an empty database, then use the 'Restore from Backup' feature available in JIRA administration to bring over the contents of your database.

0 votes
Shanye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2015

Since I'm a little unclear on what your goal is, I'll try to answer your first question two ways:

• If you're actually moving the JIRA instance to a new server (meaning there will only be one instance of JIRA up and running), then you should be able to keep the same server ID and license.
  • If you're setting up a staging/development instance (meaning you'll have two instances of JIRA running in parallel - one the production/live instance, the other for testing/development), then you will need to generate a staging/development license at https://my.atlassian.com/, as described in this link.

JIRA's indexes and attachments are stored in the JIRA-HOME directory. You will need to migrate that directory and make sure that your JIRA-INSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties file points to it.

Azhar Saleem June 8, 2016

I'm trying to setup a staging server and installing JIRA with a Dev license went fine, however if I copy over the home directory and start staging JIRA, will my plugins attempt to start using the production license? Will this in any way affect the production Jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2016

It will try to use the licence, but that won't affect your production rig.

Azhar Saleem June 8, 2016

So one has an opportunity to apply dev license licenses to plugins as without interfering with production. Good to know.

Thanks 

0 votes
Francesc_Arbó February 2, 2015

Thanks Shayne. Related to this,

• Do I need a second JIRA instance, with it's server id and it's license? Staging Server migrates the server id to the other server with it's licences.
  • If I restore the XML backup, does the indexes of the database will be the same? I mean to keep the attachments.

Thank you in advance.

Suggest an answer