Migrate JIRA/Tempo to another server with a different time zone

Christian Schlaefcke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2014

Hi,

I am trying to migrate an existing JIRA (5.2.5) with Tempo to another Server/VM and encounter a date conversion problem.

The cause of the problem seem to be the different time zones of the existing JIRA server (=CET) and the target server (=UTC).

I migrate JIRA by creating a dump of the source postgresql database and moving dump, installation and data directories to the new server.

The migration ends up in corrupted work logs in the Tempo area of JIRA. This screenshot shows the original and correct work logs.

The next screenshot shows the same and corrupted worklogs on the new server:

As you can see all times are shifted by one day in the past :-(

The specific cause seem to be that Tempo stores work logs with a time stamp of "2013-12-20 00:00:00". As CET lies one our ahead of UTC this will become "2013-12-20 23:00:00" on the new server.

When I set the server TZ to CET like on the former server anything looks fine again. But I definitely want to run the server with UTC as this is company standard.

My question would be how to perform the migration/conversion to have the UTC timezone and correct worklog entries in Tempo. Unfortunatly I was not able to find any hints on how to migrate a JIRA instance between servers with different time zones. So I appreciate any hint in the right direction! Both servers are RHE 6.5 systems by the way.

Best Regards,

Christian

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bjarni Thorbjornsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2014

Hi Christian,

Have tried doing an XML export/import as Atlassian reccommends: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

Best regards,

-Bjarni

Christian Schlaefcke
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2014

Hi Bjarni,

using the XML-Export did the trick. Thank you!

Regards,

Christian

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2014

I am really interested about a way to get data out of JIRA, via SQL, using correct times.Now, if I do: select datevalue from customfieldvalue where datevalue is not NULL I do get a total mess, dates (without times) are recorded using variable values no timezone support, values like: 2011-12-19 00:00:00+00, 2010-04-08 03:30:00+00,... when in fact the it was expected to see 00:00:00+... something. It seems impossible to perform a proper SQL query on this kind of messed data. I am wondering how is possible for JIRA to work well with these.

Suggest an answer