Migrate 1 project from JIRA Cloud to Active JIRA Server instance - Snapshot or full Historical data?

Marco Moraglia January 15, 2018

Hello,

I need to export 1project from JIRA Cloud and import it into an active JIRA Server instance that is live and in use.

Will the project data preserve full history or will it merely be a snapshot?

I'm following this guide as our current version is JIRA Server 7.5
migrating-from-jira-cloud-to-server-applications-935390961.html

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2018

Hi Marco,

You'll actually want to follow this article:

Be careful of the migration from Cloud to Server, as you must consider these instructions:

Restoring a project from JIRA Cloud to JIRA Server

You cannot import a project directly from JIRA Cloud to JIRA Server — the importer will display errors about version mismatches. If you want to restore a project from JIRA Cloud to JIRA Server, follow the steps below:

1. Install a new JIRA instance (in addition to the one that you want to import your project into). This will be a temporary instance that is used to store a full JIRA import from JIRA Cloud. Ensure that the version of this temporary instance matches the version of the JIRA instance that you want to import your project into, e.g. JIRA 6.2.
  2. Do a full JIRA migration from JIRA Cloud to the temporary JIRA instance. See Migrating from JIRA Cloud to JIRA Server applications.
  3. Export the desired project from the temporary JIRA instance.
  4. Import the project into your desired JIRA instance, by following the instructions in the Restoring your project section below. 
  5. (optional) Delete the temporary JIRA instance, once the project has completed.

The history is included but as mentioned:

The Project Import tool will add an entry to every imported issue's Change History, showing when the issue was imported. Note that old entries in the Change History, from before the import, are retained for historical purposes only. Old entries may contain inconsistent data, since the configuration of the old and new JIRA systems may be different.

Let me know if you have any further questions about that!

Regards,

Shannon

Marco Moraglia February 6, 2018

Hello Shannon,

Thank you.

After a test import in staging i have verified that all History items are available.
Now starts the fun part of changing the imported project configuration to match the target standards!

Regards,

Marco

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2018

Marco,

Happy you were able to complete the import! Just let us know if you have any additional questions or problems.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Aaron Whigham likes this
Joao Carriço February 11, 2021

Hello, 

Following the link, Atlassian has "ended sales for new server licenses, and will end support for server on February 2, 2024." 

Does this means that we are not able to import a project from JIRA Cloud to JIRA Server anymore?

Thank you in advance

Aaron Whigham September 21, 2023

@Shannon S ,

I am looking to move 2 projects from a cloud instance of a company we acquired into our Data Center instance.  Years ago, I used configuration manager for something like this. 

What process would you suggest today?

Suggest an answer