Merging jira homes because of jira instances merge

Marc Romero Bosch July 7, 2017

Hi all,

I'm trying to merge two jira instances and I have a jira home for each one. How I can merge this two jira homes?

I know that there are three directories I should take care, plugins, caches and attachments (data). (If I'm wrong with something please tell me it, I'll be very gratefull)

What I'm planing to do is keep jira_home 1 and copy the attachments from the other jira home, and the indexes will be generated when I import the projects. I think the plugins are the same so this is not a trouble.

Lot of thanks!

2 answers

2 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

Hi Mark,

Merging two JIRA instances can be views as moving all the projects with their configuration and data (issues, attachments) from from one of the servers to the other.

Configuraiton Manager for JIRA is the leading tool on the market for this task and it does 95% of the job.

The remaining 5% are what we call gap and conflict analysis. For example user management gaps and conficts. One user John Smith

• can have the same user names on both Jira "jsmith"
  • (gap) can have different user names jsmith vs john.smith - in this case the UM date needs to change so that after the merge all the issues from both servers are assigned to one user.
  • (conflict) can have the same user name as another person - jsmith - John Smith and jsmith - Jane Smith.

This gap and conflict analysis needs to be applied for c ustom fields, priorities, statuses, etc.

In addition to Configuraiton Manager for JIRA . Botron provides professional services which assist customers in merging server environments. With over 30 JIRA servers, 25 Confluence and 10 Bitbucket server merges, Botron services are the leading group in terms of know how and experience with 100% success rate and no data loss during the merges.

If you need more information please shoot us an email at services@botronsoft.com

Cheers,

Peter T

Tej July 11, 2017

Hi Peter,

We use this plugin but never used for two different types of instances!

What if we wanna merge data, configuration, users etc from Stand Alone JIRA Server to Data Center JIRA instance, can we use this plugin?

Thanks,

Dave.

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2017

Dave, absoltutely you can use Configuration Manager for JIRA. It will help you move automatically most of the configuraiton and data. I will send you more information be email.

1 vote
Thomas Buchhorn
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2017

Maybe have a look at this KB article about how to merge instances.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-merge-jira-applications-instances-244352137.html

There is also a plugin available which you might find interessting:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.projectconfigurator/server/overview

Suggest an answer