Merging 2 self hosted jira instances

Pan Wong October 16, 2014

Backstory: I currently have 1 onDemand instance which I'll be porting over to a self hosting solution.

If I merge with another company and they also have their self hosted JIRA instance, how do I merge both self hosted instances together to retain data for both into 1 location.

2 answers

0 votes
Pan Wong October 17, 2014

Hi Norman,

Sorry for the confusion. We are merging 2 companies into 1. We want to keep all the history of both instances stories/subtasks.

We don't mind sharing all the projects across the board for everyone to view.

So if we import or restore, it won't just append the data from one hosted to the one we are appending to?

I wasn't able to find any documentation on this so I wasn't sure if it was possible/how to do it

Thanks
Pan

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2014

Unfortunately, you will need to go the hard route since you will need to worry about custom fields, usernames, workflows, schemes, etc. being unique. Feels like you will build all the support objects and then either edit a project to make the corrections to match your new system. It might just be easier to build your own importer so all the mappings can be tested and corrected. It will be a great deal of trial and error.

Julia Wester [Wittified]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2014

i am having the same issue with confluence. some objects like spaces are easy to move, but others seem to be only meant to migrate with a full image install. I wish there were good apis, etc to do migration of all the bits.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2014

This is not a simple thing to do.   There are questions like if users from either company can see each other projects.  You will probably need to replace information in the restore file to get ids to work out correctly once you create the objects (projects, users, etc) in your JIRA instance.  A project restore is most likely what you want.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Merge+JIRA+Instances

It was not clear if the two companies are merging into one company or you are hosting two companies on a JIRA single JIRA instance.

If it is the latter, you might just want to have two JIRA instances running with their own database to get things done quickly while you work on the merging procedures.  In this case you just need to have separate port for the second company.

Suggest an answer